The MHBA is proud to sponsor the Second Annual MDLA Diversity & Networking Social on June 2, 2016 at the AT&T Tower in Minneapolis!
The MDLA Diversity Committee was created in 2014 to promote and achieve greater diversity within the MDLA and its member firms.This year’s event will feature two panels and a keynote address.
3:00 – 3:30 pm
3:30 – 3:40 pm
Welcome & Introduction
Rich Scattergood and Jack Hennen
3:40 – 4:40 pm
General Counsel, Insurance Carrier Panel
- Ann Anaya, Sr. Litigation Counsel, 3M
- Amanda Daeges, VP & Sr. Counsel, US Bank
- Angelita Hernandez, Sr. Counsel, Target Corp.
- Peter Glass, Assistant General Counsel, Xcel Energy
- Kenya Bodden, Progressive Insurance
A candid discussion regarding industry expectations for increasing diversity. What real diversity looks like; why it matters to clients; and why it should matter to you. This panel will explore the value increased diversity brings to companies through who they hire and retain (inside and outside counsel). In addition, panelists will share steps that corporate legal departments are taking to measure diversity performance at law firms, as well as the challenges corporate legal departments face in implementing and measuring the diversity initiatives of the law firms they employ.
- Bryan Browning, Bassford Remele, P.A.
- Colleen McGarry, Meagher & Geer, PLLP
4:40 – 4:45 pm
4:45 – 5:45 pm
- Judge Michael Browne, Hennepin County District Court
- Judge Kevin Ross, Minnesota Court of Appeals
- Val Jensen, Twin Cities Diversity in Practice
- Luiza Dreasher, PhD Assistant Dean & Director of Multicultural & International Inclusion, Mitchell-Hamline School of Law
This discussion will concentrate on why diversity matters to the Courts and the future of the legal system as a whole. The panel will focus on providing strategies for overcoming institutional, cultural, and other barriers to increasing diversity in the legal profession. The judges on the panel will focus on the view from the bench of diversity in our profession and will make the case for the need for increased diversity in the legal community. The panel also includes “pipeline” experts, who will help identify issues facing our legal community when it comes to recruitment and retention of diverse attorneys. They will also explore practical strategies firms can employ to increase the number of diverse attorneys thereby increasing the opportunities to hire diverse attorneys.
- Judge Peter Reyes, Minnesota Court of Appeals
5:45 – 6:15 pm
Michelle Miller, Medtronic
Moving Beyond Mentoring to Sponsorship. Law Firm/ Legal Employer diversity initiatives and efforts that work. How increasing diversity makes you a stronger, healthier, more stable and nimble organization.6:15 – 7:15 pm
Space is limited and will sell out quickly, so register today!!
Registration and more event information is available HERE.