Job Class: Compensation Attorney Principal
Job Opening ID: 11547
Who May Apply: Open to all qualified job seekers
Date Posted: 02/21/2017
Closing Date: 03/21/2017
Hiring Agency/Seniority Unit: Workers’ Compensation Court of Appeals
Work Shift/Work Hours: Day Shift
Days of Work: Monday - Friday
Travel Required: No
Salary Range: $31.08- $46.19/ hr.; $64,895 - $96,445 annually
Classified Status: Classified, Full-time
Connect 700 Program Eligible: Yes
The individual in this position will provide complex legal research, writing, advice, and assistance to the judges of Minnesota Workers’ Compensation Court of Appeals. The attorney will assist the court in resolving motions, appeals, and petitions in workers’ compensation cases before the court and will assist in handling court administrative and other legal matters as assigned.
- Review new cases filed with the court prior to assignment to the judges and summarize the results of the review.
- Review, analyze, and interpret legal documents and recommend and prepare orders and memoranda.
- Prepare medical records summaries and summaries of other evidence as appropriate.
- Assist judges in reviewing draft opinions and dissenting or concurring opinions as requested.
- Act as marshal for oral arguments
- Supervise legal interns or law clerks
-Juris Doctor from an accredited law school.
- License to practice law in the State of Minnesota.
- 3 years of experience as a workers’ compensation attorney or related experience.
- Considerable knowledge of legal concepts in the area of workers compensation law or related areas in administrative law.
- Ability to comprehend medical terminology and issues.
- Demonstrated legal writing and research skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Extensive knowledge of Minnesota’s workers’ compensation system, statutes and rules.
- Knowledge and experience with legal research sources and methods.
- Case management experience
- Knowledge of and experience with a variety of computer software applications, such as electronic mail and calendaring systems, Windows Operating System, Excel, PowerPoint, Internet, Adobe Acrobat, Westlaw
- Previous work experience in a state court or agency.
Why Work For Us
The State of Minnesota offers a comprehensive benefits package including low cost medical and dental insurance, employer paid life insurance, short and long term disability, pre-tax flexible spending accounts, retirement plan, tax-deferred compensation, generous vacation and sick leave, and 11 paid holidays each year.
How to Apply
Click “Apply” at the bottom of this page. If you are unable to apply online, please contact the job information line at 651.259.3637.
For additional information about the application process, go to http://www.mn.gov/careers.
If you have questions about the position or application process, contact Jodie Segelstrom at 651-259-3768 or firstname.lastname@example.org
If you have questions about the court position you may also contact Lise Schmidt at Lise.email@example.com
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Minnesota is an equal opportunity, affirmative action, and veteran-friendly employer. We are committed to providing culturally responsive services to all Minnesotans. The State of Minnesota recognizes that a diverse workforce is essential and strongly encourages qualified women, minorities, individuals with disabilities, and veterans to apply.
We will make reasonable accommodations to all qualified applicants with disabilities. If you are an individual with a disability who needs assistance or cannot access the online job application system, please contact the job information line at 651.259.3637 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Please indicate what assistance you need.