STAFF ATTORNEY (COMMUNITY DEFENSE PROGRAM)
Application Deadline: Until filled
The Legal Rights Center (‘LRC’) seeks outstanding candidates for the Staff Attorney
position described below. The LRC is a community-based nonprofit providing
high-quality representation, at no cost, for individuals charged with crimes in
Hennepin County. Please review our website, www.legalrightscenter.org , for more
information about the organization and our programs.
The Staff Attorney must be qualified and prepared to handle criminal and delinquency cases in our Community Defense Program. This involves the holistic and client-centered defense of indigent clients in adult and juvenile court throughout Hennepin County. Client education and community outreach are an important component of this Staff Attorney position. As such, the Staff Attorney will work with our Community Advocates and staff in a variety of outreach and educational tasks related to community enrichment and engagement.
Starting salary will be at the annual rate of $35,000 for an attorney who is not yet
licensed in Minnesota, or $40,000-$42,000 for an attorney who is currently licensed
in Minnesota, with an increase to a rate of $45,000 at the beginning of 2018. Health
and dental insurance provided.
Though the position is open to those with limited experience in criminal defense
work, the most qualified candidates will:
● Demonstrate a commitment to working as part of a defense team that
incorporates non-attorney advocates as part of a ‘client-centered practice’
and to pursue a multi-disciplinary approach to criminal defense.
● Show experience working with indigent and minority populations and in
identifying the various legal and non-legal needs and issues facing our
● Demonstrate the ability to step out of the courtroom and to educate the
public as to the human impact of the criminal justice system (as part of our
Community-driven Defense Program).
● Demonstrate experience solving problems creatively. Demonstrate prior experience of being responsible for all aspects of the defense process (for e.g., interviewing clients, developing defense strategies, investigating cases and interviewing witnesses, trial preparation, negotiation and in-court hearings and trials).
● Demonstrate prior experience incorporating their own personal interests in other social justice or civil rights issues into their daily work.
● Admitted to practice law in the State of Minnesota (or eligible based on reciprocity or pending the results of the July 2017 bar exam)
● Experience with indigent and minority populations
● Strong oral and written communication skills
● Strong organizational skills
● Demonstrated success as a team player, but able to work independently
● Must be able to work within the context of an organizational mission that is not solely focused on criminal defense
● Excellent listening skills
● Computer skills
● Willingness to use own vehicle for travel to suburban courts (mileage and parking reimbursed)
● Must pass background check for working with youth and vulnerable adults.
● Secondary Language skills
● Previous experience working in a Public Defender Office or with a non-profit legal office
● Previous experience working within a holistic or client-centered framework
● Prior trial and criminal defense experience
● Experience working with youth and juveniles
To apply please email your resume, cover letter (explaining your interest in the
position and detailing your specific interest in joining the Legal Rights Center and
why you are a qualified candidate), and a writing sample to
email@example.com For more information, please contact Andrew Gordon at
firstname.lastname@example.org or 612-677-2137.
The Legal Rights Center was created by communities of color working in coalition; a
diverse staff best meets the needs of our communities.