JOB TITLE: Housing Project Attorney (1.0 FTE)
Volunteer Lawyers Network (VLN) is a private non-profit organization affiliated with the Hennepin County Bar Association. VLN provides free advice and legal representation to low-income individuals through volunteer attorneys, interpreters and other legal professionals. VLN’s mission is to protect and promote the basic needs of people in poverty through the power of legal volunteers.
VLN seeks a 1.0 FTE attorney to expand its eviction expungement and eviction representation programs.
Primary duties and responsibilities
- Supervise, staff, and support legal services provided at clinics;
- Recruit, develop, and retain volunteers. Provide case-specific support and mentorship;
- Develop and foster partnerships with community organizations, law firms, legal services programs, corporations, and government agencies;
- Provide direct legal services to VLN clients, including screening for merit, legal advice, brief services, and extensive services;
- Create and update substantive and procedural resources for volunteers, including CLEs and individual trainings;
- Monitor and analyze the number and effectiveness of housing services. Track outcomes and trends;
- Participate in and contribute to the housing team, including creating and implementing annual budgets and annual plans; aligning and coordinating agency-wide work; and supporting an office-wide culture of engagement, teamwork, transparency, and accountability;
- Other duties as assigned or needed.
- Licensed to practice law in Minnesota
- Housing law or litigation experience preferred
- Experience working with volunteers preferred
- Ability to work independently and take initiative
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing
- Good organizational skills and ability to multi-task
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office products required
- Demonstrated commitment to access to justice and/or serving low-income communities
- Experience performing outreach to impoverished and disadvantaged communities a plus
- Knowledge of local community resources and other social services a plus
- Must have valid driver’s license and ability to travel
- Experience managing volunteers preferred
- Proficiency in second language preferred
Salary DOQ plus benefits.
VLN is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, sex, age, national origin, marital status, sexual orientation or any other factors prohibited by applicable law.
Those with diverse economic, social, or cultural experiences are encouraged to apply.
HOW TO APPLY:
Mail resume and cover letter to email@example.com
No phone calls please.
SUBMISSION DEADLINE: Until filled