DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION
Real Estate Title Attorney
St. Paul| Annual Salary Range: $63,162 - $93,918
The Minnesota Department of Transportation (MnDOT) is currently hiring for a Real Estate Title Attorney position. As the Real Estate Title Attorney, you will be responsible for implementing the title services program in the Office of Land Management by serving as a centralized resource providing state-wide assistance to MnDOT in securing good and marketable title to the real estate MnDOT acquires. Additionally, you will perform research and analysis of documented real estate transactions and prepare a legal title opinion by applying principles of real estate law and Minnesota Title Standards. You’ll have the opportunity to provide legal advice to MnDOT by reviewing the title opinion, field title report and supporting documentation and preparing an Attorney’s Condition of Title report identifying all interested parties and conditions so that the correct documents are prepared in direct purchase and the proper parties are named in condemnation.
Other responsibilities include:
- Developing, modifying, and drafting instruments of conveyance for both the acquisition and disposition of real property.
- Providing advice and assistance to MnDOT in implementing MnDOT’s property management program by serving as a centralized resource for the management of MnDOT’s real property, including conveyance, leasing, and limited use permits.
- Advising MnDOT staff on property management issues to ensure compliance with state law; providing guidance in the development of policies and procedures for property management; developing, modifying, drafting, and reviewing instruments of conveyance, leasing documents, and other property management documents; and advising on proposed legislation affecting the management of MnDOT property.
- Advising a variety of MnDOT programs/offices on the procedural and technical aspects of real property acquisition, title matters and property management.
- Reviewing and drafting proposed legislation; conducting legal research; developing, modifying, drafting, and reviewing agreements and other real property documents; developing and providing training on real property title, acquisition, and property management; assisting in eminent domain program management; and assisting in unusual acquisition situations.
- Traveling and overnight travel may be required up to 25% of the time.
Why Work for Us
We offer excellent employee benefits, such as low-cost health and dental insurance, and affordable dependent coverage. Other benefits include:
- 11 paid holidays per year
- Up to 29 paid vacation days per year
- 13 paid sick days per year
- Defined pension plan
- Paid life insurance
- Short & long-term disability available
- Training opportunities and more!
We are driven to find talented, innovative employees for Minnesota’s nationally recognized transportation system. We work to build the best team in the transportation industry to ensure that Minnesota thrives with a safe, sustainable and leading edge transportation system. You will be surrounded by a diverse community of experts, each driven by challenging work and motivated by the greater good. You will understand the impact of the work you are doing and be able to see the benefit you are providing to the citizens of Minnesota. You can set your sights high and use your strengths to grow within the organization. MnDOT offers superior health and retirement benefits as well as a solid commitment to work-life balance, which provides you the tools to thrive both at work and outside of work.
A Juris Doctorate degree from an American Bar Association accredited law school, a current license to practice law in the State of Minnesota, and a minimum of two (2) years of advanced professional law experience and demonstrated knowledge/experience in the following areas:
- Knowledge and practical experience with real property law, title examination, abstracts of title, title opinions, and drafting acquisition and conveyance instruments.
- Knowledge in analyzing and preparing conveyance documents to ensure that MnDOT obtains marketable title to the property it acquires.
- Knowledge of common law and statutory law relating to real property, eminent domain, probate, corporate, partnership, and trust matters.
- Experience related to legal descriptions sufficient to prepare a title opinion for the acquisition of real property.
- Knowledge of methods of resolving title objections and evaluating risk of each option is desired.
- Experience with legal research and analysis, writing, and client counseling.
- Must have a valid Driver’s License as overnight travel may be required.
How to Apply by 1/15/2019
- Go to mn.gov/careers and click “External Applicant – Search for Jobs Now”.
- Using the keyword search box type in, 28697.
- Select the job title, review the posting, and then click “Apply” at the bottom of the posting to start your application.
- When prompted for your Referral Source, list “Other – MN Hispanic Bar Association”.
**Applications must be received on mn.gov/careers by 1/15/2019 to be considered**
Questions? Contact Mao Lowe, MnDOT Recruitment Specialist at firstname.lastname@example.org or 651-366-3383.