Who May Apply: Open to all qualified applicants
Date Posted: 5/9/2022
Closing Date: 5/24/2022 S1 Salary Range: $61,351.00 – $95,278.00 S2 Salary Range: $75,508.00 – $111,597.00 S3 Salary Range: $84,946.00 – $137,320.00
The Office of Attorney General Keith Ellison — one of Minnesota’s largest public law offices and recognized as a 2021 Star Tribune Top Workplace Minnesota and 2022 Top Workplace USA — has a clear mission: we help Minnesotans afford their lives and live with dignity, safety, and respect. We are a dynamic group of dedicated professionals who could all work elsewhere but choose public service as a calling, and we are actively building an internal culture that supports that calling.
The Office is currently seeking two experienced attorneys to join its civil litigation practice.
A successful candidate in this position will be able to:
· Represent any of the 24 State agencies in every conceivable forum – from state and federal courts to administrative agency appeals
· Handle assigned cases from the very beginning, whether initial answer or Rule 12 motion, through discovery, motion practice, mediation, trial, and appeal
· Travel periodically throughout Minnesota, as cases can be venued anywhere in the state
· Graduation from a law school accredited by the ABA and license to practice in the State of Minnesota
· Three years of direct civil litigation experience
· Proven ability to litigate independently and make strategic legal decisions as lead counsel on a diverse caseload
· Ability to travel to counties across the state
· Experience using electronic files and case management tools
· Proven ability to contribute positively to a team and interact successfully with clients and members of the public
· Outstanding oral and written communication skills
· Proven ability to multitask by managing an active caseload and meeting tight deadlines
· Proven ability to work in an inclusive, creative, and collaborative work environment
Along with a cover letter, applicants must also submit a writing sample of up to 5 pages.
To be considered at the S2 level, candidates must have 8 years of related experience.
To be considered at the S3 level, candidates must have 12 years of related experience.
Why Work For Us
GREAT BENEFITS PACKAGE! The State of Minnesota offers a comprehensive benefits package including low cost medical and dental insurance, employer paid life insurance, short- and long-term disability, pre-tax flexible spending accounts, retirement plan, tax-deferred compensation, generous vacation, and sick leave, and 11 paid holidays each year.
Public service with this office may qualify applicants to have part of their student loans forgiven under a federal student loan forgiveness program for state government employees. (Visit www.studentaid.ed.gov/sa/repay-loans/forgiveness-cancellation/public-service for more information.)
Our differences make us stronger and leveraging them helps us create a workforce where everyone can thrive. The State of Minnesota is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to embedding diversity, equity, inclusion, and accessibility at our workplace. We do this by developing strong leaders and advocates, increasing cultural competence, and understanding among all employees, and removing institutional barriers and attitudes that prevent employees from advancing as far as their talents will take them. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind based on race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth and related medical conditions), marital status, familial status, receipt of public assistance, membership or activity in a local human rights commission, disability, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender expression, gender identity, or age.
How to Apply
Interested applicants must apply online through the State of Minnesota Careers website, which is the State’s official application and hiring site. The deadline for applications is Tuesday, May 24, 2022.
1. Go to www.mn.gov/careers;
2. Apply for posting number 55658
3. Direct Link
If you have any questions about the application process, please contact Jake Pleschourt at email@example.com or (651) 757-1057.
An Equal Opportunity Employer
The State of Minnesota is an equal opportunity, affirmative action, and veteran-friendly employer. We are committed to providing culturally responsive service to all Minnesotans. The State of Minnesota recognizes that a diverse workforce is essential and strongly encourages qualified women, minorities, individuals with disabilities, and veterans to apply.
We will make reasonable accommodations to all qualified applicants with disabilities. If you are an individual with a disability who needs assistance or cannot access the online job application system, please contact the job information line at (651) 259-3637 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Please indicate what assistance you need.