Assistant Attorney General Solicitor General’s Division
The Attorney General’s Office seeks an experienced lawyer to join its Solicitor General’s Division. The lawyer’s primary caseload will involve defending the State from employment and tort claims in state and federal court. There may also be opportunities to defend claims that Minnesota statutes are unconstitutional or to work on cases of state-wide impact.
One of the roles of the Solicitor General’s Division is to defend the State and its agencies, officers, and employees from tort and employment claims. The attorney we seek to hire will have responsibility for a set of assigned cases (and charges), which the attorney will handle from the initial Answer or Rule 12 motion, through discovery, dispositive motion practice, mediation, trial and appeal. Each case is assigned another attorney to “second chair” it, and mentorship and training are available through formal and informal channels. Because cases can be venued anywhere in the state, periodic travel throughout Minnesota may be required.
- Graduation from a law school accredited by the ABA and licensed to practice in the State of Minnesota;
- Three years of civil litigation experience;
- An interest in handling tort and employment cases on behalf of the State before administrative tribunals, district courts, and in the appellate courts;
- Ability to travel to counties throughout the state;
- Ability to use electronic files and case management tools;
- The ability to contribute positively to a team and interact successfully with clients, and members of the public;
- Outstanding oral and written communication skills;
- Ability to multitask by managing an active caseload and meeting tight deadlines; and
- Ability to work in an inclusive, creative and collaborative work environment.
- More than three years of experience litigating employment or tort claims.
Interested applicants must apply by sending a resume, cover letter and writing sample to email@example.com. The deadline to apply is August 15, 2019.
Note: The Attorney General’s Office greatly encourages, celebrates and values diversity. It is an equal opportunity employer which does not discriminate on the basis of race, creed, color, national origin, religion, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, or military status. If you need reasonable accommodation for a disability, please call June Walsh at (651) 757-1199 or (800) 627-3529 (Minnesota Relay).