The Attorney General’s Office seeks an experienced trial attorney to join its Transportation Division which is housed in the Health & Safety Section of the Office. Attorneys in the Transportation Division primarily represent the Minnesota Department of Transportation (“MnDOT”) and other State agencies on matters involving land acquisition and use, highway construction, and contract disputes involving the construction and maintenance of highways, public buildings, and other infrastructure. Attorneys also represent State agencies on matters involving enforcement of state and federal procurement and construction contract requirements such as prevailing wage laws and compliance with federal programs. A significant part of the attorney’s caseload will involve representing MnDOT and other State agencies in eminent domain litigation and defending state agencies against claims in mandamus actions.
The successful applicant will evaluate, negotiate, resolve, and litigate cases before commissioners in statutory proceedings, in district court jury trials and appeals, and in administrative proceedings at the Office of Administrative Hearings. The attorney will be responsible for all phases of civil litigation, including preparing pleadings and briefs, discovery, motion practice, ADR, appearing at hearings and trials, and handling appeals. The attorney should also be able and willing to travel occasionally to construction sites and hearings throughout the State.
- Graduation from a law school accredited by the ABA and licensed to practice in the State of Minnesota;
- At least two years of civil litigation experience;
- An interest in handling cases involving complex statutory provisions;
- Proven ability to litigate autonomously and make strategic legal decisions as lead counsel on a diverse caseload;
- Proven ability to counsel and advise clients throughout all stages of a case;
- Ability to travel to counties throughout the state;
- Experience using electronic files, case management tools, and e-discovery platforms;
- Proven ability to contribute positively to a team and interact successfully with clients and members of the public;
- Excellent research and writing skills;
- Proven ability to multitask by managing an active caseload and meeting tight deadlines; and
- Proven ability to work in an inclusive, creative, and collaborative work environment.
- Background in real estate, eminent domain, land use issues, and construction disputes and litigation;
- Complex litigation experience, including the use of experts at trial;
- Knowledge of administrative law; and
- Appellate experience, including drafting briefs and arguing before appellate courts.
Why Work For Us:
The Office of Attorney General Keith Ellison — one of Minnesota’s largest public law offices and recently recognized as a Star Tribune 2021 Top Workplace — has a clear mission: we help Minnesotans afford their lives and live with dignity, safety, and respect. We’re a dynamic group of dedicated people who could all work elsewhere but choose public service as a calling, and we’re actively building an internal culture that supports that calling. We invite you to apply to be part of the team that helps recruit, support and train dedicated attorneys, legal assistants, investigators, and other staff, all focused on helping Minnesotans.
We offer a great benefits package!
The State of Minnesota offers a comprehensive benefits package including low cost medical and dental insurance, employer paid life insurance, short and long term disability, pre-tax flexible spending accounts, retirement plan, tax-deferred compensation, generous vacation and sick leave, and 11 paid holidays each year.
Public service with this office may qualify applicants to have part of their student loans forgiven under a federal student loan forgiveness program for state government employees. (Visit www.studentaid.ed.gov/sa/repay-loans/forgiveness-cancellation/public-service for more information.)
Interested applicants must apply online through the State of Minnesota Careers website, which is the State’s official application and hiring site. The deadline for applications is October 27, 2021.
- Go to www.mn.gov/careers;
- Apply for posting number 49553;
- Please ensure to include a writing sample (up to five pages) within the cover letter.
If you have any questions about the application process, please contact K.C. Moua at firstname.lastname@example.org or (651) 757-1279.
Note: The Attorney General’s Office greatly encourages, celebrates and values diversity. It is an equal opportunity employer which does not discriminate on the basis of race, creed, color, national origin, religion, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, or military status. If you need reasonable accommodation for a disability, please call June Walsh at (651) 757-1199 or (800) 627-3529 (Minnesota Relay).