Assistant Director, Law School – Career and Professional Development and Externships
The University of St. Thomas invites qualified candidates to apply for an Assistant Director, Career and Professional Development and Externships position within the Law School.
The University of St. Thomas embraces diversity, inclusion, and equal opportunity for all. Our convictions of dignity, diversity and personal attention call us to embody and champion a diverse, equitable and inclusive environment. We welcome applicants of diverse races, ethnicities, geographic origins, gender identities, ages, socioeconomic backgrounds, sexual orientations, religions, work experience, physical and intellectual abilities, and financial means. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. This commitment is consistent with our mission to inspire our students, using the Catholic intellectual tradition, to think critically, work skillfully, and act wisely – all for the common good. A successful candidate will possess a commitment to the ideals of this mission.
JOIN OUR COMMUNITY
The University of St. Thomas offers a competitive and comprehensive benefits program, which includes:
- Up to 100% tuition remission for employees, spouses, and dependents upon eligibility
- A generous Employer retirement contribution of 9.4% of annual salary upon eligibility
- Medical, dental, and vision options
- Employer-paid disability, life, and AD&D benefits
The Office of Career and Professional Development (CPD) provides students the tools to develop careers that align with their talents and chosen vocation. The Assistant Director works closely with the Director to counsel students on their career and professional development, to communicate and promote opportunities to students and alumni, to broaden and deepen relationships with employers locally and nationally, and to provide programming and resources to support the office’s goals. The Assistant Director also manages the Externship Course Programs by overseeing that academic program, promoting the externship courses to students, collecting applications, working with students to ensure externship placements, and advising students on the externship course process.
1. Student Counseling –The Assistant Director will meet with students and alumni to assess their career goals; create career development and job search strategies; provide guidance on drafting resumes, cover letters and other application materials; prepare for interviews; and provide advice on other career related topics. The Assistant Director will use reflective listening to provide the students with feedback and support as they develop their career plans.
2. Externship Course Programming – The Assistant Director will advise students regarding externship course offerings and registration, will help coordinate externship placement opportunities, will support externship faculty on course logistics, and will collect and process applications for externship courses.
3. Student Professional Development (programming, website resource and content creation) – The Director and Assistant Director will work collaboratively and independently to create and deliver programs, workshops and events for students on a variety of career related topics. Duties will include assessing student interests and needs, creation, editing and improving substantive career development materials, facilitating panels and evaluating programs. This also includes collaborating with student organizations, outside organizations, and internal stakeholders on program creation and promotion.
4. Employer Outreach and Marketing –The Assistant Director will play a role in marketing the school and its students to employers locally, nationally and internationally. The Assistant Director will understand employment trends, markets, and employers. The Assistant Director will maintain and expand relationships with employers and legal professionals through networking at conferences, serving on committees, making in-person visits, and through telephone and email contact. The Assistant Director will assist with drafting and designing marketing materials (paper and electronic) as appropriate.
5. Student Communication and Outreach – Through newsletters, social media, the CPD website, job notifications, podcasts, and other formats, CPD reaches out to students to inform them about opportunities, provide advice, and market CPD programming, services and resources. The Assistant Director will develop and evaluate strategies for communicating with students, determine newsletter content, and create other outreach materials. Duties will also include attending law school events, meeting with student organizations, and seeking other opportunities to interact with students to develop relationships and promote CPD’s goals.
6. Reporting and Monitoring – CPD must collect, assess and report on a variety of career development and placement related data. The Assistant Director will assist in the collection and assessment of this information as needed.
- B.A in a relevant field
- Three years of experience working in a legal environment
Equivalent experience may substituted for advanced degree.
- Advanced Degree (J.D. or masters) strongly preferred
- Career counseling or other student service experience strongly preferred.
HOW TO APPLY
On the University of St. Thomas Jobs page, follow the instructions to complete an online application which includes uploading a resume and copy/pasting a job specific cover letter.
In light of its commitment to create and maintain a safe learning and working environment, employment with the University of St. Thomas requires consent and successful completion of a background screening.
Number of Openings 1
Closing Date Open Until Filled
Type of Search Staff
Who May Apply This position is open to all qualified applicants.
Position Number 330340
Campus Minneapolis Department/Unit School of Law FLSA Status Exempt/Salaried
Employment Type Full-Time
Staff Assigned Months per Year 12
Benefits Eligible Yes
The University of St. Thomas, Minnesota Human Resources Department advertises the official job listing on its website at www.stthomas.edu/jobs.
The University of St. Thomas is an Equal Opportunity Employer