The Associate Counsel, Litigation will represent the Company in litigation proceedings, whether in arbitration, federal or state court or administrative law forums, under the direction of Chief Counsel.
• Represent the Company in litigation matters involving clients, employees, franchisees, and/or vendors, including preparing pleadings and motions, conducting discovery, examining witnesses, and leading arbitration hearings or trials.
• Support more senior counsel in complex matters, including, for example, by conducting legal research and drafting memoranda and oversight & management of the discovery process, including electronic discovery.
• Manage outside counsel, including review and approval of costs, fees and budgets.
• Provide advice to the business and other attorneys within the Company on relevant issues of law and contemplated business initiatives.
• Communicate and partner regarding work with relevant internal stakeholders, including business, finance, compliance and corporate communications.
• Conduct internal investigations outside of litigation matters as needed.
• Remain current on recent trends in litigation, investment markets, and the financial services industry generally, including securities, financial planning, asset management, insurance, and annuities.
• Travel as necessary in support of all of the above.
• JD from an ABA accredited law school with strong academic record.
• Licensed with a state bar and willing to join the Michigan or Minnesota state bar (as appropriate).
• 2-3 years of experience as a litigator.
• Excellent written and oral communication skills.
• Excellent interpersonal skills.
• Critical thinking skills.
• Interest in the investment markets and financial services industry.
• Proficiency with eDiscovery review tools, like Relativity and Ringtail.
• Proficiency in computer-based legal research, such as Westlaw.
• Proficiency in computer-based document preparation, such as PowerPoint & Excel, and litigation support tools.
• Experience in the securities, insurance and/or financial services industry.
• Experience/interest in securities, insurance, employment, franchise and/or immigration law.
• Experience handling FINRA arbitrations.
• Experience with federal and/or state regulators providing oversight to the financial services industry, such as representing clients during on-the-record testimony or in administrative law proceedings before government agencies.
About Our Company
With the right company, life can be brilliant. At Ameriprise, we’re not just in the business of helping clients with their financial goals — we also help our advisors and employees reach their true potential. Be part of an inclusive, collaborative culture that rewards you for your contributions and work with other talented individuals who share your passion for doing great work. You’ll also have plenty of opportunities to make your mark at the office and a difference in your community. So if you’re talented, driven and want to work for a strong ethical company that cares, take the next step to create a brilliant career at Ameriprise Financial.
Full-Time / Part-Time
General Counsel’s Organization