Associate Enterprise Labor & Employment Law Counsel (Enterprise Strategy Analyst)
Minnesota Management and Budget
Associate Enterprise Labor & Employment Law Counsel
(Enterprise Strategy Analyst)
Salary Range: $70,929 – $105,402 /annually
This position, reporting to the General Counsel of Minnesota Management and Budget (“MMB”), provides legal advice and support to the Enterprise Human Capital (“EHC”) division of MMB. The incumbent will represent executive branch agencies at labor arbitrations, hearings before the Bureau of Mediation Services under M.S. 43A.33, and hearings under the Veterans Preference Act. At the direction of the MMB General Counsel, this position also will be responsible to review legal and policy work products regarding labor law, employment law, and data practices, for MMB and other agencies, provide enterprise-wide legal advice and guidance to State executive branch agencies regarding interpretation of and compliance with state and federal labor and employment laws, compensation plans and collective bargaining agreements, and data practices, and provide training on data practices and labor and employment law issues. Finally, the incumbent works to support MMB’s response to data practices requests from members of the public, media, legislators, and others.
The minimum qualifications of this position include:
• Juris Doctorate (J.D) from an ABA-accredited law school
• Licensed to practice in the State of Minnesota
• At least three years of experience as a practicing attorney or labor relations consultant
• Professional level experience interpreting, analyzing, researching and communicating on complex legal and policy requirements as relates to labor and employment law
Experience must include the following demonstrated skills, abilities and knowledge bases:
• Excellent communication skills and written work product to advocate in arbitrations and other administrative processes on behalf of state agencies, and to provide training, guidance and legal advice on complex data practices, labor and employment law issues.
• Knowledge of and ability to advise on compliance with the Minnesota Public Employment Labor Relations Act.
• Knowledge of and ability to advise on compliance with state and federal employment laws, including but not limited to anti-discrimination laws, Family and Medical Leave Act, and Americans with Disabilities Act- Reasonable Accommodation.
• Knowledge of the Minnesota Government Data Practices Act and ability to analyze data, determine classification of data and provide protection of not public data.
• Critical thinking and problem-solving skills sufficient to analyze a variety of complex labor and employment law and data practices issues, identify areas of research, conduct research and evaluate alternatives, make sound decisions and provide legal advice to management on these issues.
• Ability to thoroughly research and impartially analyze facts and legal issues.
• Commitment to fostering a diverse and inclusive workplace.
• Experience representing clients in litigation, especially labor and/or employment law litigation
• Experience representing clients in arbitrations or similar administrative proceedings
• Professional labor and/or employment law-related experience in a unionized environment
• Professional labor and/or employment law-related experience in Minnesota state government or other public sector work environment
• Experience providing legal advice to management on labor and/or employment law matters
• Experience planning and delivering complex legal training to non-legal audiences
Individuals who are selected for interview will be requested to submit a writing sample.
Minnesota Management and Budget will conduct reference checks to verify job-related credentials and a criminal background check prior to appointment.
HOW TO APPLY:
Job Posting Number: 41167
Posting Closes: 8/24/2020