HealthPartners has an exciting opportunity for a Dispute Resolution Attorney. HealthPartners Law Department is seeking a full-time dispute resolution attorney with a minimum of five years relevant experience representing providers and health care systems in professional liability claims and litigation. Desired expertise includes litigation and/or litigation management; responding to licensing board complaints; medical legal expertise regarding privacy, guardianship and behavioral health issues; and demonstrated experience providing advice and counsel to health care systems and providers.
Applicants must have a strong academic background, strong communication and interpersonal skills, excellent analytical skills, relevant experience, and a desire to work in a collaborative and team environment. Minnesota bar admission is required.
HealthPartners is a tax-exempt integrated care delivery and financing system based in Bloomington, MN. The system employs 26,000 people and includes 7 hospitals, employs nearly 2000 physicians practicing in over 50 clinics, and provides a broad array of additional services including dental, transportation, home care, hospice, research and education.
At HealthPartners, you’ll find a culture where we live our values of excellence, compassion, integrity and most importantly, partnership. By working together, we will improve health and wellbeing, create exceptional experiences for those we serve and make care and coverage more affordable.
- Provide in-depth medical-legal, professional liability, and dispute resolution advice, analysis, and solutions to clients related in a highly regulated industry and consistent with the organization’s risk tolerance.
- Conduct factual inquiries, perform legal research and analysis, identify legal issues, and develop and recommend legal strategy solutions.
- Respond to asserted claims and demand letters on behalf of the organization. Represent the organization and manage outside counsel in litigation and at settlement conferences, mediations, and conciliations.
- Negotiate, draft, review, and revise responses to licensing boards, separation and settlement agreements, and a variety of legal documents.
- Represent and advocate for HealthPartners and its related organizations before a variety of licensing agencies, regulatory bodies, and tribunals as required working with outside counsel as necessary.
- Be part of and work collaboratively with the Dispute Resolution & Employment team as well as other members of the Department and as part of cross-functional teams.
- Work independently with assigned clients to provide advice and on projects as assigned.
- Actively develop additional areas of expertise and act as back up to other attorneys in multiple substantive areas.
- Provide support to other Department members as assigned.
- Manage outside counsel as they represent the organization in assorted disputes.
- Model HealthPartners values of Excellence, Compassion, Partnership, and Integrity.
- Perform other duties as assigned by Deputy General Counsel for Dispute Resolution & Employment and/or the General Counsel.
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS: (Minimum qualifications needed for this position)
- Law Degree from an accredited school with strong academic credentials.
- Current license to practice; must be admitted to practice in Minnesota courts within 6 months or as determined by the General Counsel.
- Five years or more of relevant legal experience.
- Excellent communication skills with a demonstrated ability to excel in a team environment.
- Excellent computer skills in Microsoft Windows and electronic document management environments. Must possess a working knowledge of Microsoft Office products (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint) and an ability to adapt to new and emerging technologies.
- Demonstrated ability to work successfully in a complex and highly collaborative organization.
- Strong knowledge of the laws applicable to federal and state (including but not limited to Minnesota and Wisconsin) medical-legal issues with experience in providing risk-based advice.
- Experience appearing before state and federal courts and agencies—like the professional licensing boards—with the ability to employ a variety of dispute resolution strategies in those forums.
HealthPartners offers a comprehensive benefits package. To see a complete job description and/or to apply for this position, please visit www.healthpartners.com/careers, click on job opportunities and search for Job ID #54725. No phone calls or agencies please.