Application deadline: 1/24/2022 4:30 PM CST
General Duty Statement
The Saint Paul City Attorney’s Office is a premier public law office of 60-plus legal professionals and support staff practicing in all areas of municipal law including criminal prosecution, litigation, municipal corporate, code and licensing enforcement, and real estate and economic development.
The Saint Paul City Attorney’s Office is accepting applications for a full-time assistant city attorney position in its Civil Division. The position will provide legal services in support of the Department of Planning and Economic Development, the City’s Housing and Redevelopment Authority, and the Saint Paul Port Authority. Duties will include civil transactional, regulatory, or litigation work as assigned.
Information related to this position:
This position involves a wide range of public sector real estate and development-related matters including the following:
- Drafting and negotiating real estate documents including development agreements, loan and grant agreements, notes, mortgages, easements, licenses, deeds, declarations of restrictive covenants, indemnifications, guaranties, subordination agreements, leases, use agreements, and etc.
- Advising on public finance tools such as Tax Increment Financing, CDBG, HOME, ESG, ARPA, LIHTC, Revenue and Conduit Bonds, sales tax, and other State and Federal grant awards.
- Advising on City, State, and Federal compliance areas.
The position also performs wide-ranging municipal legal work including:
- Planning, organizing, mentoring, and leading the work of lower-level employees within the Civil Division as requested by the City Attorney, Deputy City Attorney, or Supervising Attorney.
- Providing legal advice to the City Council, the Mayor’s Office, City departments, boards, commissions, and committees.
- Drafting ordinances, resolutions, rules and policies.
- Drafting and negotiating contracts.
- Preparing legal opinions or memoranda.
- Staffing meetings of the Saint Paul City Council, the City’s housing and Redevelopment Authority, the Saint Paul Port Authority, and their various boards and commissions.
- Representing the City of Saint Paul, the City’s housing and Redevelopment Authority, the Saint Paul Port Authority, and their various departments, boards, and commissions in administrative cases and related matters.
Candidates must have a Juris Doctorate Degree and a license to practice law from the Supreme Court of the State of Minnesota and five years or more of progressive experience as an attorney at the full performance level.
Preferred candidates will have significant real estate development experience. Continued employment is contingent upon maintaining a license to practice law from the Supreme Court of the State of Minnesota.
For more questions, please contact Adam Niblick at email@example.com.