Corporate Governance Director–WAY07483 Cargill provides food, agriculture, financial and industrial products and services to the world. Together with farmers, customers, governments and communities, we help people thrive by applying our insights and over 150 years of experience. We have 155,000 employees in 70 countries who are committed to feeding the world in a responsible way, reducing environmental impact and improving the communities where we live and work.
Position Purpose & Summary
This individual is a member of the Law leadership team and oversees corporate governance strategy and operations for Cargill, Incorporated and its North American and Carribean subsidiaries.
In addition, the Director of Corporate Governance, Assistant Corporate Secretary (DCG) manages Executive Team (ET) meeting operations and logistics and serves as the company’s Assistant Corporate Secretary, providing corporate leadership and advice to company leadership and the Cargill Board of Directors. This position acts as meeting secretary for Board of Director meetings and serves as a liaison with members of Law, other corporate functions, Cargill businesses, Cargill stockholders, members of the Cargill Board of Directors. He or she will manage a team of professionals that also manage common shareholder equity administration, entity management, and various company policies and procedures. This position provides substantive corporate secretary services to, and serves as an Assistant Secretary for, subsidiary entities.
This role requires strong competencies in the areas of leadership, communication (including written), teamwork, interpersonal effectiveness, initiative, facilitation, and process discipline.Principal Accountabilities80% Corporate governance management
- Serve as the first point of contact for Cargill stockholders and members of the Cargill Board of Directors.
- Strategy development with the Company’s General Counsel, senior officers of the Company, including the CEO and President, the Law leadership team, and Corporate Strategy and Development.
- Analyze and opine with respect to the General Corporation Law of the State of Delaware or other jurisdictions and Company governance documents.
- Manage issues for non-management Board members including assisting in orientation of new Board members.
- Analyze and opine with respect to stockholder documents to determine Company rights and obligations and/or implications to the Company and stockholders as to a particular course of action.
- Manage teams that work with Cargill stockholders, members of the Cargill Board of Directors, internal and external stakeholders to monitor, analyze, interpret and administer corporate governance requirements requiring deep understanding of Cargill businesses, Cargill governance policies and documents, and Delaware law requirements.
- Build trust and strong relationships internally and externally.
- Demonstrate the ability to influence at all levels of the organization and to bring in an external viewpoint.
20% People Leadership
- Builds and effectively utilizes a network of professional and industry associations, peers and subject matter experts to stay current on all issues affecting the Board.
- Assists with ensuring continuous education of Directors by keeping them apprised of developments in relevant law, regulation and in best governance practices, including benchmark information from well-regarded companies.
- Providing coaching, direction and training across the department to ensure each employee is equipped with the knowledge and resources needed
Minimum Required Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in a related discipline
- 10+ years of corporate governance paralegal, corporate governance or corporate secretary experience.
- Demonstrated leadership potential.
- Knowledge of accounting procedures and financial terminology as relates to legal entity structures, stock ownership/ stockholders, board resolutions and activities, and various internal and external reporting requirements.
- High level of professionalism and diplomacy, including mature demeanor and judgment necessary to interact with members of the Board of Directors, Cargill senior officers and Cargill shareholders.
- Strong resiliency skills to deal with pressures of tight deadlines and high profile scrutiny of work product.
- Strong drafting skills to produce Board of Director meeting minutes and Board and Executive Committee resolutions
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills and demonstrated ability to drive for issue resolution.
- Strong organizational skills, high degree of planning and attention to detail.
- Demonstrated time management skills and ability to prioritize and multi-task.
- Ability to deal with highly confidential information and effectively operate under tight deadlines and periods of high stress.
- Ability to work collaboratively as a team member, yet able to work independently.
- Microsoft Office proficiency.
- Paralegal Certificate
- Familiarity with relational databases and experience as an end user.
- Participation in corporate governance and/or corporate secretary professional trade associations
- Management supervision experience
- Demonstrated in-depth understanding of corporate law and legal concepts related to corporate governance and the corporate secretary function.
- Cross cultural communication skills.
- Basic knowledge of international legalization methods such as public notarization and apostilles.
- Experience with Board portal and stock administration software
Equal Opportunity Employer, including Disability/Vet.