Cargill provides food, agriculture, financial and industrial products and services to the world. Together with farmers, customers, governments and communities, we help people thrive by applying our insights and over 150 years of experience. We have 155,000 employees in 70 countries who are committed to feeding the world in a responsible way, reducing environmental impact and improving the communities where we live and work. Apply here.
This position will provide legal counsel to Cargill, Incorporated and its global subsidiaries as an in-house lawyer in Cargill’s global Law Department, supporting merger, acquisition, divestiture, and joint venture (MADJV) transactions primarily throughout Latin America (LatAm). This position will be a member of the MADJV Global Practice Group, be based in Minneapolis, MN and be the senior MADJV lawyer for the LatAm region. This position is recognized as a trusted advisor with deep understanding of MADJV law across the legal function and corporation with a commercial and business oriented mindset. This position leads complex legal work for all aspects of the MADJV life cycle, from early stage discussions to post-completion matters. Daily assignments include building and leading due diligence teams, drafting and negotiating preliminary, definitive and ancillary transaction agreements, handling pre-closing deliverables and supervising and successfully completing closings. Clear focus on close cooperation and cohesiveness among work teams, both legal and non-legal, is essential.
The position requires superior judgment, including the ability to recognize, anticipate and mitigate potential legal and commercial problems, develop solutions and counsel business leaders and corporate development teams toward those solutions. The position requires a pro-active and driven approach and the ability to prioritize and follow through on numerous projects simultaneously, while remaining flexible and agile in responding to exigencies. Dedication and commitment towards providing excellent, value added advice and an entrepreneurial, internationally oriented spirit are corner stones of being successful in this position. This lawyer thrives in a transactional, team-oriented context and a complex, challenging and demanding environment.
On most of Cargill’s MADJV transactions in LatAm, this lawyer will be responsible for building and enabling MADJV teams with internal and (where appropriate) external resources, and will lead MADJV transactions on behalf of the Law Department, including handling primary responsibility for specialist legal areas. The position will mentor and coach other lawyers supporting MADJV transactions. Cargill Law is a practicing law department and the MADJV team embraces this identity. MADJV lawyers regularly perform activities and execute material transactions where most other corporation’s rely on external counsel for support and advice. Selectively, we will partner with a panel of law firms for support and this position requires the efficient management and supervision of outside counsel.
• 80% Providing strategic, risk-based legal counsel on mergers, acquisitions, divestitures, and joint ventures.
• Engage legal teams, manage outside counsel use and related costs, execute due diligence, conduct negotiations, draft transaction documentation, assist with regulatory reviews, close transactions and handle post-closing matters
• 10% In collaboration with the MADJV Practice Group, research, develop and implement throughout the organization world-class MADJV practices, processes and procedures, including developing templates, benchmarking best practices and policies and educating colleagues and clients
• 5% Provide legal advice and risk management counseling to Cargill businesses on a broad range of legal and commercial matters
• 5% Advise legal colleagues on legal matters relating to mergers, acquisitions, divestitures and joint ventures #LI-JG1 Qualifications Required Qualifications
• Law degree and license to practice law for applicable jurisdiction
• 8+ years’ experience handling mergers, acquisitions, divestitures, and joint ventures (MADJV) of all types, sizes and complexities, including under US or English law
• Cross-border MADJV experience in Latin America is required
• Significant expertise in, and experience with, the structuring and execution of MADJV transactions, including planning for and managing due diligence, drafting transaction documents, strategizing for and leading negotiations, handling closings and integration planning, implementation and execution
• Significant expertise in, and experience with, MADJV client counseling at different levels of experience and sophistication up to and including the most senior level of the organization
• Significant expertise in, and experience with, the identification, assessment and prioritization of MADJV transaction risks, and a proven ability to provide practical, solutions-oriented advice to enable proper monitoring, management and/or mitigation of risks
• Strong interpersonal skills, including self-confidence, clear communication (including giving and receiving feedback constructively), conflict management, problem solving, decision making and assertiveness
• Intangible skills, including sound judgment, intuition, integrity, curiosity, agility, creativity, humility and an ability to thrive in challenging and ambiguous situations
• Proven ability to serve as a strong business partner and history of building trust with others
• History of building and leading successful teams, collaborating with team members and coaching at every level of an organization
• Ability to prioritize responsibilities and successfully manage multiple transactions at a consistently superior level
• Ability to lead cross-functional teams, appropriately delegating tasks, leveraging others and by fully engaging team members
• Commitment to excellence, accountability and continuous growth and improvement
• Excellent English communication skills (written and verbal); Fluent in Spanish and/or Portuguese
• AM Law 100, Magic Circle or equivalent M&A practice experience
• M&A experience in agriculture, food and commodities
• Merger analysis and regulatory filings experience
• Experience structuring, negotiating and documenting venture capital and minority equity investments