Volunteer Lawyers Network (VLN)
Civil Clinics & Administrative Law Resource Attorney & Program Manager (1.0 FTE)
Volunteer Lawyers Network (VLN) is a private non-profit organization affiliated with the Hennepin County Bar Association. VLN provides free advice and legal representation to low-income individuals through volunteer attorneys, interpreters and other legal professionals. VLN’s mission is to protect and promote the basic needs of people in poverty through the power of legal volunteers.
VLN seeks a 1.0 FTE attorney to manage VLN’s Civil Clinics and Administrative Law Program. This position is responsible for overseeing, managing, and developing services client services and programs.
Primary duties and responsibilities
- Supervise the Legal Access Point, Conciliation Court Clinic, and other community clinics which provide free legal advice and brief legal services to financially qualifying clients on a wide range of civil legal issues.
- Develop, oversee, and evaluate advice and full representation service in administrative law cases including DHS disqualifications and license cases.
- Recruit, develop, and retain volunteer attorneys, law students, and paralegals;
- Supervise and support program staff, including leading regular team meetings, participating in rolling and annual performance reviews, and participating in the hiring process when needed;
- Provide case-specific support and mentorship to volunteers;
- Develop and foster partnerships with community organizations, law firms, legal services programs, corporations, and government agencies;
- Provide direct legal services to VLN clients, including legal advice, brief services, and extensive services;
- Create and update substantive and procedural resources for volunteers, including CLEs, online resources, and materials provided to volunteers.
- Assist with program specific grant development and implementation;
- Participate in and contribute to the supervisory team, including creating and implementing annual budgets and annual plans; aligning and coordinating agency-wide work; and supporting an office-wide culture of engagement, teamwork, transparency, and accountability;
- Other duties as assigned or needed.
- Licensed to practice law in Minnesota or waiting on July 2019 bar results;
- Ability to work independently and take initiative;
- Effective written and oral communication skills;
- Good organizational skills and ability to multi-task;
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office products required;
- Demonstrated commitment to access to justice and serving impoverished and disadvantaged communities;
- Civil litigation experience preferred;
- Nonprofit or volunteer management experience preferred;
- Knowledge of local community resources and other social services preferred;
- Proficiency in second language preferred
Salary DOQ plus benefits.
VLN is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, sex, age, national origin, marital status, sexual orientation or any other factors prohibited by applicable law.
Those with diverse economic, social, or cultural experiences are encouraged to apply.
HOW TO APPLY:
Mail resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
No phone calls please.
SUBMISSION DEADLINE: September 6, 2019