Company: Heartland Financial USA, Inc.
Heartland Financial USA, Inc. is a growing dynamic organization with many locations offering uniquely different banking and financial solutions for businesses and personal clients. As a performance driven company, we strive to create a culture of excellence with high standards, and high values while providing outstanding growth and involvement opportunities for employees. Join a team that makes “Great Things Happen!”™
The Corporate Counsel is responsible for providing high quality legal research & analysis, risk analysis, advice and counsel to internal clients; effectively managing external counsel, serving as lead counsel for lines of business that offer deposit products, payment systems and treasury management products and services and serving as the legal department subject matter expert in one or more areas of law.
· Serves as lead counsel for lines of business that offer deposit products, payment systems and treasury management products and services by maintaining relevant subject matter expertise; providing practical, results orientated legal advice, managing internal and external legal resources, and effectively developing and maintaining strong client relationships.
· Serves as the legal department subject matter expert for assigned areas of law.
· Maintains effective partnerships with other company departments to support common client relationships.
· Provides legal advice and support for client projects and product development initiatives.
· Conducts and coordinates research into a variety of laws, regulations and legal issues.
· Develops and recommends company policy and positions on legal issues.
· Monitors and provides regular client communications and education to the legal department, internal clients and company management on emerging legal issues and risks.
· Drafts, reviews, and edits complex contracts, legal memoranda, customer disclosures and documents, regulatory filings, client policies and procedures and litigation documents and filings.
· Effectively manages outside counsel and litigation strategy for assigned litigation matters.
· Completes annual E-Learning Plan and Bank Secrecy Act (BSA) training as assigned and keeps up-to-date knowledge of BSA as it relates to the job function.
· Performs other duties as assigned.
· This job has no management responsibilities.
· Juris Doctorate from an accredited law school required
· Licensed to practice law in at least one state, preferably Minnesota or Iowa required
· 5+ years experience as a practicing lawyer in a law firm or in-house legal department required
· 3+ years experience as a lawyer representing financial institutions required
· Demonstrable legal knowledge in deposit products, treasury management products and payment systems
· Demonstrable legal knowledge in two or more of the following additional areas is desirable:
o loan documentation
o loan workouts and bankruptcy
o trust company operations and administration
o employment matters
o corporate governance
o public company reporting and compliance
o corporate law
o mergers and acquisitions
o bank regulation
o vendor and technology contracts
· Working knowledge of the commercial banking and financial services industries
· Ability to efficiently oversee, supervise and manage external legal counsel
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including ability to draft well-written reports, memoranda, general business correspondence, and policies and procedures
· Highly computer literate, including Microsoft Office and Adobe Acrobat
· Agile and creative problem solver
· Collaborative partner with strong inter-personal skills and the ability to work effectively with team members at all levels across the company, including executives and senior management, business line leaders, and division directors and managers
· Ability to discretely handle highly confidential and sensitive information
· Ability to work independently and exercise excellent judgement
· Highly organized with a strong attention to detail
Scheduled Weekly Hours: