United States – Illinois – Abbott Park
Abbott is a global healthcare leader that helps people live more fully at all stages of life. Our portfolio of life-changing technologies spans the spectrum of healthcare, with leading businesses and products in diagnostics, medical devices, nutritionals, and branded generic medicines. Our 109,000 colleagues serve people in more than 160 countries.
Our location in Abbott Park, IL currently has an opportunity for a Counsel, Labor & Employment Counseling & Litigation.
Primary Job Function:
- This position is responsible for providing employment and labor law counseling to Abbott’s diverse global businesses, representing Abbott in employment and labor law administrative matters, and leading complex employment litigation matters on a global basis.
- Candidates with experience managing others and/or leading teams in labor and employment law matters are preferred.
Core Job Responsibilities:
- Represent Abbott before government/administrative agencies in discrimination, wage and other employment claims, and in response to threatened claims
- Provide legal counsel to management regarding all employment and labor law issues, including restrictive covenants
- Provide employment and labor law support on merger and acquisition agreements, due diligence, integration and other business restructuring projects
- Support corporate compliance initiatives
- Provide project direction and supervision of outside counsel on domestic and international matters
- Resolve legal labor and employment issues using negotiation skills and legal expertise
- Develop successful employment litigation strategies
- Supervise and direct outside counsel in execution of strategies in employment litigation and with provide creative approaches to dispute resolution
- Coach and direct assigned support staff in their responsibilities
Critical Success Factors:
Good Judgment: Demonstrate expertise and sound judgment, understand how assigned responsibilities support Abbott’s business objectives, and be able to provide practical, risk-balanced advice based upon a thorough understanding of the scope of an issue, taking full advantage of internal networks and external intelligence.
Collaboration: Firm understanding of available legal, functional, and business resources and ability to integrate information from a number of sources to achieve business results, including breaking down boundaries to create alignment as necessary, in a complex, global, matrixed environment.
Anticipation: Holistic, big picture thinker, who anticipates changes in law, enforcement, and/or business objectives and adapts approach as necessary to manage risks effectively and mitigate issues before they arise.
Influencing Skills: Build strong relationships with business partners to tactfully influence and gain their support to drive desired outcomes. Represent Abbott externally to customers, suppliers, competitors, trade associations or government agencies; and resolve legal issues using negotiation skills and legal expertise.
- Position reports to Division Counsel, Litigation, responsible for Labor and Employment
- Position will interact with senior management in Abbott Legal, Human Resources, and the business units
- Candidates must possess a JD degree and have or be able to obtain appropriate licensure to practice law in Illinois.
- Minimum of 5-7 years of management-side labor and employment law counseling and litigation practice (at least 3 with a reputable law firm).
- In-house experience preferred.
Employer of Choice: Through numerous local, national, and international accolades, Abbott is regarded as an employer of choice for our commitment to workplace excellence. Our employees are given the tools to succeed, lead and grow, with challenging opportunities and work that makes a difference. Through our diverse healthcare businesses, we connect people and potential in ways that no other company can. Discover a world of opportunities at Abbott.
Who We Are: We are legal professionals and business partners, and we use our expertise and judgment to guide Abbott’s businesses through the challenges that come with operating in complex global environments.
What We Offer: Abbott Legal provides meaningful and challenging work on a global scale. We are a dynamic organization and we develop our employees to meet the evolving needs of the company.
How We Work: We are collaborative, curious, and pragmatic. We value diversity of background, experience, and thought in our teams. We are expected to be holistic thinkers who see the big picture, and make thoughtful, informed decisions.
Operations & Business Support
GENC General Counsel
United States > Abbott Park : AP06D Floor-1
SIGNIFICANT WORK ACTIVITIES:
Continuous sitting for prolonged periods (more than 2 consecutive hours in an 8 hour day), Keyboard use (greater or equal to 50% of the workday)Abbott is an Equal Opportunity Employer of Minorities/Women/Individuals with Disabilities/Protected Veterans.EEO is the Law link – English: http://webstorage.abbott.com/common/External/EEO_English.pdfEEO is the Law link – Espanol: http://webstorage.abbott.com/common/External/EEO_Spanish.pdf