Date: March 2021
Target is an iconic brand, a Fortune 50 company and one of America’s leading retailers.
To match the signature style and passion of Target’s distinctive and beloved retail brand, Target Legal Affairs is a dynamic and deeply knowledgeable team of legal pros, each with valuable expertise from several disciplines. Whether specializing in government affairs, policy, risk management, regulatory compliance, ethics or employee and labor relations, this team advocates for Target and its business plans in communities across the nation and works across the entire company to provide internal clients with cohesive guidance. We are committed to being internal experts to both internal and external entities on key issues that affect Target’s ability to productively do business. We focus on defining, investigating, anticipating, communicating about and ultimately mitigating risk in all its forms. We help protect Target by applying our comprehensive understanding and interpretation of the laws that govern our stores, distribution centers and corporate locations. Your passion for learning the business and building great relationships with team, leaders and key business partners will be key to tackling the ever-changing legal challenges we face in a dynamic and fast-paced retail landscape.
A role with Employee Relations means the opportunity to provide legal counsel on a wide range of internal employee relations matters. Your internal clients will be Human Resources, and you’ll be responsible for a range of responsibilities that include providing fast-paced advice and counsel, consulting on investigations, the management of litigation, and project/policy work at times. In particular:
- Provide expert legal counsel in Employee Relations matters for assigned areas of responsibility. Work with the Employee Relations teams to identify legal and HR-related issues and trends.
- Serve clients in pyramid-specific or project-specific work to ensure strategies and actions in ER matters support the company’s brand, mission and philosophy. Understand HR and business objectives and strategies.
- Strategically manage employment litigation and agency matters along with key partners.
- Work independently with outside counsel. Follow standards for legal work in assigned areas and ensure that work is performed in a cost-effective manner.
- Remain current on legal and business developments and share appropriately with ER/LR team and business partners.
- Assist in representing Target’s interests to government agencies and other outside entities.
- Job duties may change at any time due to business needs.
- J.D. or equivalent from accredited law school and admitted to a state bar
- 5+ years at a law firm or in-house capacity serving clients in Employee Relations matters
- Substantial experience providing consultation and legal advice in a corporate or law firm setting
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Strong ability to establish effective, trusted team and client relationships
- Strong litigation experience with significant employment law background
- Strong team player who is adaptable and able to work independently in a fast-paced environment