job id: r0000110875
job family: law
schedule: full time
location: 33 s 6th st, minneapolis, minnesota, united states, 55402-3601;
DIRECTOR COUNSEL, Operational Strategies – Technology Transactions
Date: November 2020
Target is an iconic brand, a Fortune 50 company, and one of America’s leading retailers.
Target Legal Affairs is a dynamic and deeply knowledgeable team of legal professionals, each with valuable expertise from several disciplines. This team advocates for Target and its business in communities across the nation and works across the entire company to provide internal clients with business and legal advice. Here, you’ll enjoy working autonomously with a healthy work-life balance. Your passion for learning our business and building relationships with senior leaders and key business partners will be essential to tackling the ever-changing legal challenges we face in a dynamic and fast-paced retail landscape. You’ll be challenged and gratified by a role with Target Legal Affairs.
Within Target Legal Affairs, the Operational Strategies team provides value-added legal support to Target’s Technology, Supply-Chain, and other operational teams in advancement of Target’s strategies. In the role of Director Counsel, Operational Strategies, you will work on a wide variety of transactions and negotiations supporting Target’s Technology team. In particular, this role will provide legal support for software licenses, SaaS / cloud agreements, hardware / smart hardware, IoT, innovation agreements, and support for procurement of cutting edge technologies.. You will create and provide both written and in-person training and self-help tools and retain and manage outside counsel resources, in addition to helping keep our templates up to date. Job duties may change at any time due to business needs.
- J.D. degree with excellent academic credentials from an accredited law school
- Admitted or eligible for admission to the Minnesota bar
- 3-8 years of technology contract, legal experience in a law firm, in-house, or government capacity
- Demonstrate innovative and creative problem solving skills with strong leadership skills
- Curious, pro-active, and motivated to learn about new businesses and new legal concepts
- Excited about working with a diverse and large internal client base and collaborating with your Legal Affairs colleagues
- Comfortable making specific recommendations in ambiguous situations
- Excellent sense of prioritization and highly organized with the ability to manage multiple projects and client relationships in a fast-paced environment
- Excellent written and oral communication skills; ability to tailor message by audience, and deliver clear and concise advice in a timely manner
- Flexible team player and comfortable working with experts, generalists, and senior level leaders
- High level of self-motivation, initiative and organization, with the ability to be resilient and adaptable to risk, uncertainty, and changing directions, and to seek out assistance and advice from others when needed
- Familiarity with telecommunication is preferred but not required
Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
Target will provide reasonable accommodations (such as a qualified sign language interpreter or other personal assistance) with the application process upon your request as required to comply with applicable laws. If you have a disability and require assistance in this application process, please visit your nearest Target store or Distribution Center or reach out to Guest Services at 1-800-440-0680 for additional information