Director counsel – regulatory, retail and payments (ft remote or hybrid) – Target
location: 1000 nicollet mall, minneapolis, minnesota, united states, 55403-2542;job id: R0000189676
job family: Law
schedule: Full time
DIRECTOR COUNSEL, Regulatory, Retail and Payments
Date: February 2022
As a Fortune 50 company with more than 350,000 team members worldwide, Target is an iconic brand and one of America’s leading retailers.
Working at Target means the opportunity to help all families discover the joy of everyday life. Caring for our communities is woven into who we are, and we invest in the places we collectively live, work and play. We prioritize relationships, fuel and develop talent by creating growth opportunities, and succeed as one Target team. At our core, our purpose is ingrained in who we are, what we value, and how we work. It’s how we care, grow, and win together.
To match the signature style and passion of Target’s distinctive and beloved retail brand, Target Legal Affairs is a dynamic and deeply knowledgeable team of legal pros, each with valuable expertise from several disciplines. Whether specializing in government affairs, policy, risk management, regulatory compliance, ethics or employee and labor relations, this team advocates for Target and its business plans in communities across the nation and works across the entire company to provide internal clients with cohesive guidance. We are committed to being internal experts to both internal and external entities on key issues that affect Target’s ability to productively do business. We focus on defining, investigating, anticipating and ultimately mitigating risk in all its forms. We help protect Target and its subsidiaries by applying our comprehensive understanding and interpretation of the laws that govern our stores, distribution centers and corporate locations.
Here, you’ll enjoy working autonomously with a healthy work-life balance. Your passion for learning the business and building relationships with the senior leaders and key business partners that you support will be key to tackling the ever-changing legal challenges we face in a dynamic and fast-paced retail landscape. Focusing on a broad portfolio of regulatory programs, you’ll be challenged and gratified by a role with Target Legal Affairs.
Within Target Legal Affairs, the Regulatory, Retail and Payments team provides value-added legal support to Target’s business and compliance teams in advancement of Target’s guest-facing strategies in a wide variety of areas. This position will focus on laws and regulations applicable to our financial services programs, including payment cards and gift cards, payment acceptance, new payment strategies/FinTech and other regulatory areas as needed. In the role of Director Counsel, Regulatory, you will work with a wide variety of business partners to provide timely, thorough and strategic advice on the regulatory issues in your portfolio and interact with external stakeholders, including government representatives at federal, state and local levels. In addition, you will use your legal acumen to advise on the launch of new businesses and strategies in emerging areas, and help businesses design operational processes that meet the company’s legal and business goals. You will create and provide both written and in-person training and self-help tools and retain and manage outside counsel resources.
Job duties may change at any time due to business needs.
- J.D. degree from an accredited law school
- Admitted or eligible for admission to the Minnesota bar
- 5+ years of legal experience in a law firm, in-house, or government capacity working with new and evolving regulatory schemes, including work with trade associations to influence state and federal regulations
- Experience in financial services law and regulation, including ECOA, FCRA, TILA, TCPA, UDAAP, EFTA, FDCPA, and federal and state collections statutes, and enforcement agencies such as the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau
- Experience with association rules such as NACHA, CDIA Metro 2, and card-brand network rules
- Establish rapport and collaborate effectively, internally and externally, across all levels of an organization, resolve conflict, and build consensus.
- Independently drive accountability, instill confidence, and influence outcomes across business functions
- Analytical and critical thinking skills with the ability to distill complex or ambiguous issues into concise and actionable advice
- Highly organized, with the ability to adapt, prioritize and successfully manage multiple tasks or projects in response to changing or competing priorities
- Ability to develop effective written and verbal communications and presentations for all levels of leadership; comfort presenting information to large groups across all levels of the organization
- Demonstrated strategic skills with the ability to assess and challenge the current state, develop short and long term strategies, apply creative problem solving, and assemble cross-functional teams to manage initiatives from inception through implementation
- Navigate and learn new and emerging business, regulatory, and legal concepts
This position may be considered for a Full-Time Remote or Hybrid work arrangement based on Target’s needs. A Hybrid work arrangement means the team members core role will be a blend of virtual and onsite at a Target location.A Full-Time Remote work arrangement means the team member works full-time from home or an alternate location that’s not a Target location, does not have a desk at their primary HQ work location and may travel to HQ up to 4 times a year.
Colorado, Connecticut or Nevada Residents Only: The salary range for Colorado, Connecticut or Nevada residents is $119,500 to $215,100.Pay is based on several factors including but not limited to education, work experience, certifications, etc. In addition to your salary, Target cares about and invests in you as a team member, so that you can take care of yourself and your family. Find competitive benefits from financial and education to well-being and beyond.
Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
Target will provide reasonable accommodations (such as a qualified sign language interpreter or other personal assistance) with the application process upon your request as required to comply with applicable laws. If you have a disability and require assistance in this application process, please visit your nearest Target store or Distribution Center or reach out to Guest Services at 1-800-440-0680 for additional information.