The Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis (Bank) is seeking to fill a full-time Attorney position within its Legal Division. The attorney will practice in a variety of areas, including typical in-house subject areas such as procurement/contracts, intellectual property and other general corporate matters, but will also provide legal support to functions more specific to the Federal Reserve, which may include banking regulation, lending, payments, law enforcement, and support for our research, Treasury, and payment system risk functions, among other responsibilities. Banking law experience is not required but the successful candidate must have strong legal analytical and communication skills and the ability to work well in a collegial environment.
Legal Division attorneys advise Bank management on legal matters as well as regularly interact with attorneys from other Federal Reserve Banks and the Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System.
- Handles legal matters that are typically routine in nature but may involve complex legal issues arising from the Bank’s operations or other activities.
- Provides legal advice and written opinions to Bank management on various aspects of applicable laws and their relevance to Bank’s business operations, policies and strategic objectives to minimize legal risk and comply with federal, state and local regulations.
- Conducts extensive legal research, assists in the planning of legal strategies and supports the law department’s representation of the Bank in administrative and judicial proceedings as needed.
- Drafts, negotiates, and reviews contracts.
- Advises management of potential risks in contractual areas.
- Develops a working knowledge of core practice areas of the law with the most impact on the Bank, including but not limited to: contract law, employment laws, banking law and regulations, payments law, insurance law, federal tax law and intellectual property law.
- Provides other in-house legal services to Bank management and staff.
- Drafts memoranda of law and correspondence in response to legal questions presented by clients
- Entry Level Position
- Juris Doctorate degree required and must be admitted to practice law in the state of Minnesota.
- 0-4 years of legal experience preferred.
- Excellent legal research and writing skills.
- Excellent analytical abilities along with sound legal and business judgment.
- Excellent communication skills.
Our total rewards program offers benefits that are the best fit for you at every stage of your career:
- Comprehensive healthcare options (Medical, Dental, and Vision)
- 401K match, and a fully funded pension plan
- Paid time off and holidays
- Generously subsidized public transportation
- Annual educational assistance
- On-site fitness facility
- Professional development programs, training and conferences
- And more…
The Minneapolis Fed is committed to developing a diverse workforce and providing an inclusive environment where all employees are respected and valued. We believe that we can foster development opportunities for all and reach our full potential by recognizing the unique experiences and identities of each of our colleagues. From economists to cash specialists, we work together to represent you in our economy.
* A requirement of this position is that you must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and received all approved boosters or qualify for an accommodation from the Bank’s vaccination policy; the Bank will provide accommodations as required by law for individuals unable to be vaccinated due to a medical condition or sincerely held religious belief.
* An essential function of this position is working onsite; this position qualifies for a hybrid working arrangement that supports remote work, but generally requires being onsite at least 3 days a week.
*A requirement of this position is that the employee must be a “Protected Individual.” A “Protected Individual” includes but is not limited to: (1) a citizen or national of the U.S.; or (2) an alien who is lawfully admitted to the U.S. for permanent residence and who applies for citizenship within six months of being eligible to apply for citizenship and, if offered a position with the Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis, will sign a Declaration of Intent to Become a United States Citizen.
Full Time / Part Time
Regular / Temporary
Job Exempt (Yes / No)
First (United States of America)
The Federal Reserve Banks believe that diversity and inclusion among our employees is critical to our success as an organization, and we seek to recruit, develop and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool. The Federal Reserve Banks are committed to equal employment opportunity for employees and job applicants in compliance with applicable law and to an environment where employees are valued for their differences.
OUR BANK has one of the most recognizable brands around the world. The Federal Reserve is the central bank of the United States—one of the world’s most influential, trusted and prestigious financial organizations. The Federal Reserve is charged with the important mission of promoting a strong economy and a stable financial system and fulfills this responsibility by formulating national monetary policy, supervising and regulating banks and bank holding companies, and providing financial services for banks and the U.S. government.
OUR PEOPLE are diverse in background and ideas, which allows for ongoing creativity and innovation. Ultimately, they are the ones who push our high-performance, exchange-driven culture forward.
Why Our People Choose Us:
Our reputation precedes us
There will always be room for personal growth
Our people are first
You’ll find the right balance
Your responsibilities will be meaningful
We hope that you will be our future colleague.Read More