The Hennepin County Attorney’s Office is seeking to fill experienced Attorney positions in the Criminal Prosecution divisions including Community Prosecution, Juvenile Prosecution, Special Litigation, and Adult Prosecution. Location and hours: This position is hybrid and will be performed both on-site at Hennepin County Government Center at 300 S. 6th Street, Minneapolis, MN 55487 and remote as job duties require. Work hours will be Monday through Friday, with typical hours of 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
About these positions: The list of candidates created from this posting will be used to fill permanent, full-time, benefit-earning and limited duration (for up to two years), benefit-earning Attorney positions.
Starting September 1, 2021, all new job offers are conditional based on the candidate being fully vaccinated for COVID-19. “Fully vaccinated” means 14 days after receiving the second dose in a two-dose vaccination series approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) on a full or emergency-use basis, or 14 days after receiving a single-dose vaccine approved by the FDA on a full or emergency-use basis. After a conditional job offer is made, the candidate must show proof of full vaccination prior to their start date. A COVID-19 vaccination card from the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), a vaccination record from your doctor’s office or a personal digital vaccination record constitutes sufficient “proof.” The candidate must also attest they are vaccinated by completing a form on the first day of employment. Reasonable accommodations to this vaccination requirement will be considered upon request by a candidate for medical or religious reasons as required by applicable law.
In these positions, you will:
· Prepare cases for prosecution of criminal statutes and/or fraud cases for prosecutions.
· Try criminal cases and prosecute appeals.
· Interview prospective complainants and police officers relative to the violation of statutes and filing of complaints.
· Prepare briefs, opinions, pleadings, and other legal papers; confer with attorneys, other county employees and other interested parties regarding criminal prosecutions.
· Conduct necessary legal research; keep case records and make reports; perform necessary research, work investigations, and preparation of briefs for the trial of cases involving criminal prosecution.
Need to have:
· Admission to the Bar of the State of Minnesota.
· Two years of experience as a practicing attorney; at least one of which as a licensed criminal prosecutor.
Nice to have:
· Preferred candidates will have 5 or more years of criminal prosecution experience as a licensed attorney.
· Experience working in a county attorney’s office (or equivalent office in Minnesota or another state).
· Knowledge of:
o Local laws and ordinances, established precedents, and legal reference sources.
o The principles, methods, and practices of legal research and investigation.
o Judicial procedures and the rules of evidence.
o The pleading and practice of effective presentation of court cases.
· Ability to:
o Provide excellent communication, interpersonal skills, and persuasive public speaking skills.
o Charge criminal cases.
o Try cases independently.
o Establish effective working relationships and to collaborate with other county departments.
About the department: The mission of the County Attorney’s Office is to serve justice and public safety through our commitment to ethical prosecution, crime prevention, and through innovative and reasoned client representation. About Hennepin County: Hennepin is the largest county government organization in Minnesota. Our employees work every day to improve the health, safety and quality of life for our residents and communities. All of our jobs align to one or more of our overarching goals — that Hennepin County residents are healthy, protected and safe, self-reliant, assured due process, and mobile. Our employees receive a combination of generous benefits and positive workplace culture not found at other organizations. This includes meaningful work that impacts our community, competitive pay, work-life balance, a variety of benefits and opportunities to grow. Learn more at www.hennepin.us/employees. Hennepin County envisions an organization where our commitment to diversity and the reduction of disparities is fundamental in providing excellent service to our community. Your future. Made here. This posting may be used to fill current and future vacancies. These positions are internally classified as an Attorney. Click here to view the job classification specification. Invitations to interview will be based upon an assessment of education and experience.
Final candidates may be required to complete a drug test and/or background check. If you have any questions, please contact: Abbie Hugunin Abbie.Hugunin@hennepin.us
Apply here: Job opportunities | Hennepin County (governmentjobs.com)