Mid-Minnesota Legal Aid (MMLA) is seeking a full-time staff attorney to join the Minneapolis Housing Unit. The Minneapolis Housing Unit defends hundreds of eviction actions per year and represents tenants in affirmative actions to secure their rights and allow them to lead safe, healthy, and independent lives in their communities. MMLA is hiring up to two staff attorneys to provide housing outreach, education, and representation to clients at one of two community clinic sites: African Community Services and Division of Indian Work. The attorney(s) will also join the housing team to advise and represent clients who connect with MMLA via our general intake line and Hennepin County housing court. This position will start as soon as possible after an offer is extended.
As an equal opportunity employer, MMLA is committed to inclusive hiring and dedicated to diversity in our work and staff. We strongly encourage candidates of all identities, experiences, and communities to apply. We welcome information about how your experience can contribute to serving our diverse client communities. Applicants are encouraged to share in their cover letter how they can further our goal of equal justice for all. We are committed to a discrimination- and harassment-free workplace.
BACKGROUND: MMLA’s mission is to advocate for the legal rights of disadvantaged people to have safe, healthy, and independent lives in their communities. MMLA provides civil legal representation to clients with low incomes and seniors in 21 counties in central Minnesota, and to people with disabilities throughout the state. MMLA’s Minneapolis office primarily serves clients who reside in Hennepin and Anoka Counties. MMLA receives funding from a variety of public and private sources and enjoys strong support from the organized bar.
- Apply the principles of MMLA’s Racial Justice Values Statement in all interactions.
- Advise and represent clients in a variety of court and administrative forums.
- Provide training for tenants and advocates about housing rights.
- Assist with community outreach and education as needed for clients’ needs.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Must be licensed to practice law in the State of Minnesota, eligible for admission by reciprocity, or sitting for the July 2022 bar exam. New graduates are welcomed and encouraged to apply.
- Demonstrated interest in and commitment to the needs of low-income/vulnerable clients.
- Commitment to working as a team member to serve clients’ needs.
- Desire to appear in court to litigate client rights.
- Excellent analytical and written and verbal communication skills.
- Proficiency using Microsoft Office required.
- Legal training, knowledge of community resources, and experience with case management software preferred.
- Language proficiency, particularly in Arabic, Hmong, Oromo, Somali, or Spanish, preferred.
- Diverse economic, social, and cultural experiences preferred.
Mid-Minnesota Legal Aid offers a competitive salary and robust benefits package, including family medical and dental insurance, short- and long-term disability, life insurance, 403(b) with employer match, FSA, employee assistance programs, and generous paid time off.
APPLICATIONS: Submit resume and cover letter expressing interest in the position online at https://mylegalaid.org/employment by June 10th, 2022, or until position is filled.
If you require a reasonable accommodation for completing this application, interviewing, or otherwise participating in our employee selection process, please contact Jolene Chestnut at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Mid-Minnesota Legal Aid is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer.