Mid-Minnesota Legal Aid (Legal Aid) is seeking a full-time Managing Attorney for its Minneapolis office as part of the housing unit. The Minneapolis housing unit defends hundreds of eviction actions per year and represents tenants in affirmative actions to secure their rights and allow them to lead safe, healthy, and independent lives in their communities. This position will start as soon as possible after an offer is extended.
As an equal opportunity employer, Legal Aid is committed to inclusive hiring and dedicated to diversity in our work and staff. We strongly encourage candidates of all identities, experiences, and communities to apply. We welcome information about how your experience can contribute to serving our diverse client communities. Applicants are encouraged to share in their cover letter how they can further our goal of equal justice for all. We are committed to a discrimination- and harassment-free workplace.
· Apply the principles of Legal Aid’s Racial Justice Values Statement in all interactions
· Supervise 7-10 staff attorneys, supervisors, and other staff
· Work with the Deputy Director and Supervising Attorney to craft internal policies, set agendas, and engage in long-term planning
· Identify appropriate targets of impact litigation and lead litigation teams
· Facilitate meetings and engage in partnerships with community organizations and other legal service providers on housing issues
· Coordinate training and other outreach for tenants and advocates about housing rights
· Consult as needed on housing issues with attorneys and staff in other practice areas and other Legal Aid offices
· Hire, train, and onboard new staff
· Engage in policy advocacy in the areas of housing stability, eviction, health and safety, and more
· Formulate plans for grant and funding applications, meet with funders, draft grant applications, and assist with grant reporting
· Develop and provide ongoing training and professional development for staff attorneys and other staff
· Guide staff attorneys through litigation and other casework
· Other duties as assigned
· Must be licensed to practice law in Minnesota or eligible for admission by reciprocity
· Must have at least three years of experience practicing housing law
· Must have experience supervising staff, with preference given to direct supervision of legal work
· Demonstrated interest in and commitment to the needs of people with low incomes and other vulnerable clients
· Commitment to working as a team member to serve clients’ needs
· Desire to manage impact litigation
· Ability to mentor attorneys and staff to achieve excellent client representation
· Excellent analytical and written and verbal communication skills
· Legal training, knowledge of community resources, and experience with case management software preferred
· Language proficiency, particularly in Arabic, Hmong, Oromo, Somali, or Spanish, preferred
· Diverse economic, social, and cultural experiences preferred
SALARY: $63,881 to $85,035 per year, depending on experience, plus benefits. Benefits include family medical and dental insurance, short- and long-term disability, life insurance, 403(b) with employer match, FSA, employee assistance programs, and generous paid time off.
APPLICATIONS: Submit resume, cover letter expressing interest in the position, three job-related references, and a writing sample online at https://mylegalaid.org/employment by February 24th, 2022, or until position is filled.
If you require a reasonable accommodation for completing this application, interviewing, or otherwise participating in our employee selection process, please contact Jolene Chestnut at email@example.com.
Please direct all other inquiring to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Mid-Minnesota Legal Aid is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer.