Mid-Minnesota Legal Aid (Legal Aid) is seeking a full-time staff attorney for its Minneapolis office as part of the Immigration Law Project (ILP) The ILP provides legal representation to clients in a full range of immigration contexts, including removal work, adjustment of status, applications for citizenship, and VAWA-based cases (U and T visas).
As an equal opportunity employer, Legal Aid is committed to inclusive hiring and dedicated to diversity in our work and staff. We strongly encourage candidates of all identities, experiences, and communities to apply. We welcome information about how your experience can contribute to serving our diverse client communities. Applicants are encouraged to share in their cover letter how they can further our goal of equal justice for all. We are committed to a discrimination- and harassment-free workplace.
· Apply the principles of Legal Aid’s Racial Justice Values Statement in all interactions
· Provide full representation to individuals in immigration court in both detained and non-detained cases, including:
o Preparing and submitting written pleadings, motions, and appropriate applications for relief from removal
o Preparing clients, witnesses, and experts for individual hearings
o Submitting appeals to the Board of Immigration Appeals when appropriate
· Provide full representation to people in affirmative immigration cases, including:
o Preparing and submitting applications to USCIS
o Maintaining contact with clients throughout representation
o Provide legal advice to clients regarding options to apply for an immigration benefit
o Assess criminal records and advise clients on immigration consequences
· Conduct community outreach for local organizations within our service area on immigration-related topics
· Assist ILP in grant proposals, reports, and data maintenance
· Maintain a case load of both court and benefits cases, analyzing each case and resolving legal issues in a timely manner
· Maintain compliance with Legal Aid’s legal work protocols, grant requirements, and ethical obligations
· Other duties as assigned
· Must be licensed to practice law in Minnesota or eligible for admission by reciprocity
· Demonstrated interest in and commitment to the needs of people with low incomes, vulnerable clients, and clients with complicated and traumatic histories
· Ability to manage multiple tasks at once with a strong attention to detail
· Excellent analytical and written and verbal communication skills
· Ability to collaborate with others while also working independently
· Proficiency using Microsoft Office required
· At least two years of immigration law experience preferred
· Legal training, knowledge of community resources, and experience with case management software preferred
· Language proficiency, particularly in Spanish, preferred
· Diverse economic, social, and cultural experiences preferred
SALARY: $55,000 to $62,900 per year, depending on experience, plus benefits. Benefits include family medical and dental insurance, life insurance, vacation, and sick leave.
APPLICATIONS: Submit resume, cover letter expressing interest in the position, and three job-related references online at https://mylegalaid.org/employment by February 10th, 2022, or until position is filled.
If you require a reasonable accommodation for completing this application, interview, or otherwise participating in our employee selection process, please contact Jolene Chestnut at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please direct all other inquiries to email@example.com.
Mid-Minnesota Legal Aid is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer.