Counsel, Product Development and Coverage Analysis – Travelers
Taking care of our customers, our communities and each other. That’s the Travelers Promise. By honoring this commitment, we have maintained our reputation as one of the best property casualty insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join us to discover a culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives on collaboration. Imagine loving what you do and where you do it.
Job Description Summary
The Counsel role is responsible for providing a range of cost-effective, high quality legal services while representing Travelers. The Counsel position handles moderately complex legal matters, requiring an established degree of knowledge and expertise.
Travelers offers a hybrid work location model that is designed to support flexibility.
Primary Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Provides counsel on moderately complex legal issues within a respective line of business or practice area – Insurance Coverage, including product development and legal analysis for underwriting business units, with a focus on first-party coverages, Crime, Kidnap & Ransom, Boiler & Machinery, Inland Marine, and certain liability lines, potentially including pollution/environmental liability, for domestic and international clients.
- Negotiates with clients or management and/or attempts to influence managers regarding matters of significance to the legal community.
- Researches legal principles and precedents within area of specialization or expertise.
- Proactively identifies and communicates risk to internal and/or external customers and provides recommendations on how to mitigate that risk.
- Drafts, negotiates and executes legal documents.
- Maintains awareness of external judicial climate and legal developments.
- Builds and maintains strong internal and external client relationships.
- Makes effective use of technology and automation in the practice of law.
- This role acts as an individual contributor.
- Juris Doctorate or equivalent International legal degree; graduate of an accredited law school.
- Minimum of 3 years of prior legal experience.
- Active license to practice law in the state(s) in which representation is required.
Education, Work Experience, & Knowledge
- Minimum of 5 years of prior legal experience preferred.
- Background in first-party or pollution/environmental liability insurance coverage preferred.
- In-house or law firm experience providing coverage advice, or litigating matters, regarding commercial insurance products preferred.
- Strong analytical and communications skills preferred.
Environmental / Work Schedules / Other
- Minimum Travel
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer. We value the unique abilities and talents each individual brings to our organization and recognize that we benefit in numerous ways from our differences.
If you are a candidate and have specific questions regarding the physical requirements of this role, please send us an email so we may assist you.
Travelers reserves the right to fill this position at a level above or below the level included in this posting.