Salary $56,313.36 Annually
Location Second Judicial District – St. Paul, MN
Job TypeFull-time, Monday-Friday, Regular
Department Second Judicial District
Closing 3/8/2021 11:59 PM Central
Expand your court experience or begin your legal career as a Judicial Law Clerk for the Second Judicial District! A Judicial Law Clerk position offers the opportunity to work within the Minnesota Judicial Branch at the Trial Court level, and gain insight into judicial and court processes, with a court perspective on the administration of justice.
The Second Judicial District is accepting applications for a Judicial Law Clerk forthe Honorable Nicole Starr, who is chambered at the Ramsey County Courthouse. The law clerk performs administrative, courtroom, and legal research/writing functions under the direct supervision of a district court judge.
The Minnesota Judicial Branch offers a comprehensive benefits package. To learn more about benefits, click here. Example of Duties
Any one position my not include all of the duties listed, nor do the examples cover all the duties which may be performed.
- Reviews, studies and researches laws, court decisions, documents, opinions, briefs and related legal authorities.
- Prepares legal memoranda, statement of issues involved and proposed orders, including appropriate suggestions or recommendations to the judge.
- Compile references on laws and decisions necessary for legal determinations.
- Confer with judge concerning legal questions, construction of documents, and granting of orders.
- Attend court sessions to hear oral arguments and record necessary case information; maintain records attendant to court proceedings.
- May perform courtroom duties, including taking court minutes, calling the calendar, swearing in jury panels and witness, and assisting in various court proceedings such as arraignments, motions, hearings, pre-trial conferences, and trials.
- Administrative duties as assigned.
- Juris Doctor from an accredited law school and/or license to practice law in Minnesota.
- Excellent legal research and writing abilities.
- Good computer skills, including knowledge of Westlaw and Microsoft Word or other word processing programs.
- Ability to organize and manage own work with minimal supervision.
- Ability to handle a wide variety of tasks simultaneously.
- Strong sense of professionalism.
- Ability to deal professionally and courteously with court personnel, attorneys, the public, and media.
Successful candidate will be required to pass a criminal background check.
Apply online at http://www.mncourts.gov/careers. In addition to completing the online application, please upload and attach a one-page cover letter, resume, law school transcript, and writing sample (no more than ten pages).
Employment offers may be rescinded if the required criminal background check identifies job-related convictions.
The Minnesota Judicial Branch (MJB) is committed to providing fair and equal access to justice. If you share this same commitment, desire a meaningful career serving the public, and want the opportunity to make a difference for your community, consider a career with us. We celebrate and are committed to the principles of diversity and inclusion, and actively seek and encourage applications from persons with diverse backgrounds and characteristics. Minnesota Judicial Branch employees consistently express pride in their public service and in the quality of programs and services provided to customers, as well as appreciation for the teamwork and collaboration that is promoted within the MJB. To learn more about working for the Minnesota Judicial Branch, watch this video.
It is the policy of the Minnesota Judicial Branch that all decisions regarding employment are made without discrimination on the basis of disability. Please let us know if you need a reasonable accommodation for a disability to participate in the employee selection process by contacting 2ndDistrictHR@courts.state.mn.us.
The Minnesota Judicial Branch offers a comprehensive benefit package including vacation, holiday, and sick leave as well as medical, dental, life and disability insurance.
For a more detailed overview of our regular employee benefits package, please follow this link Employee Benefits Package