Law Clerk-Criminal Division
City of Minneapolis
Pay Rate: $21 – $24 per hour or volunteer or supervision for credit
Work Schedule: Normal business hours are 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. The office is currently seeking law clerks to work Mondays through Fridays in full or half-day shifts, with a minimum of two days a week.
• 2L or 3L with an interest in criminal law/procedure and/or litigation.
• Candidate will be motivated to improve their oral advocacy skills and be open to feedback.
• Excellent research, oral and written communication skills are a must.
• The successful candidate must be punctual, organized, and detail-oriented and also possess excellent interpersonal skills.
• The selected candidates will be certified to practice as a certified student attorney while employed by the City of Minneapolis.
• A background check is required.
• Under the supervision of an attorney, the City Attorney’s Office’s Criminal Division Law Clerks will represent the City in the misdemeanor courtrooms, performing such duties as presenting plea negotiations to the court, making bail arguments, communicating offers to pro se parties, conducting court trials on traffic matters, and processing files for future court appearances.
• The clerk may also draft criminal complaints and memoranda, and perform legal research on criminal law and/or procedure.
• The position is courtroom-focused and requires availability to cover morning and/or afternoon court calendars and court appearances in Hennepin County District Court.
Email application to: David.Bernstein@minneapolismn.gov