Position Purpose & Summary
The person hired for the position will join a fast-paced global team of other commercial lawyers and paralegals who provide legal counsel related to a variety of commercial legal matters to Cargill businesses.
No two days at this position look the same. The person hired will be curious, creative, and will enjoy the freedom to learn a wide variety of practice areas as our businesses grow and innovate, including preventative counseling; review, drafting and negotiation of commercial contracts; strategic counseling and advice; marketing claims review; regulatory compliance counseling; claims resolution; litigation oversight; and deep engagement with Cargill’s commercial businesses.
This position requires excellent judgment, including the ability to recognize the business implications of decisions and develop solutions and counsel clients toward those solutions. Successful candidates will have excellent contracting skills and experience, strong communication skills and a strong orientation toward collaboration.
Cargill is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Cargill’s law department is committed to building and sustaining global teams that represent wide varieties of backgrounds and perspectives. In 2019, Cargill Law will be recognized as a Diversity & Inclusion Honoree by “Minnesota Lawyer” magazine.
40% – Lead preparation, review and revisions of various commercial agreements. Lead process of gathering and integrating stakeholder input and regularly participate and lead negotiations. Communicate and counsel clients regarding commercial law aspects of transactions and other legal matters. Develop expertise in Cargill’s various businesses and relevant legal trends.
10% – Manage disputes and litigation relating to Cargill’s businesses on matters such as commercial litigation, product liability, personal injury claims, and government enforcement actions, including budgeting and managing outside counsel.
20% – Practice preventive law, including providing advice, training and education in areas such as antitrust/competition law, regulatory compliance, contracting, corporate structuring, as well as assisting Cargill businesses on compliance with various company policies and procedures.
20% – Coordinate and collaborate with other members of the Cargill Law Department to provide legal advice in certain specialized areas such as environmental, employment/labor law, and intellectual property.
10% Miscellaneous projects/duties as assigned
Education, Experience, Skills
Minimum Required Qualifications
- Juris Doctor (JD) degree
- License to practice law in the state of MN or ability to become licensed in MN
- 3-5 years’ experience practicing as a lawyer
- Demonstrated ability to spot legal issues in areas such as: information technology, intellectual property, competition law, marketing, food law, employment law, etc.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent contract analysis, drafting and negotiation skills
- Ability to work independently and be self-motivated
- Ability to serve as a strong business partner and proven history of building trust with others
- Collaboration with others to promote greater team work and outcomes for clients
- Proven ability to manage conflict and strong problem solving abilities
- Ability to manage conflicting priorities and be solutions-oriented
- Shows good judgment and commitment to Cargill’s Code of Conduct and Guiding Principles
- Agile, nimble and adaptable
- Ability to influence at varied levels within the organization and a strong history of coaching/developing others.
- Experience working with international teams
- Relevant legal experience in agriculture, food and commodities
[AGENCY DISCLAIMER: Notice to Staffing Agencies, Placement Services, and Professional Recruiters can be found on cargill.com/careers]
Cargill provides food, agriculture, financial and industrial products and services to the world.