Location: Charlotte, North Carolina, Minneapolis, MinnesotaJob ID R-109901
About this role:
Wells Fargo is seeking a Lead Counsel in Legal as part of the Deposits, Payments, and Debit Card Section of its Consumer and Small Business Banking Division. The Section provides legal support and guidance associated with consumer and small business deposit accounts, payments, product development, and marketing.
Primary responsibilities will involve a combination of the following: providing legal advice to line of business and independent risk management partners on consumer and small business deposits strategy and product development, regulatory compliance, analyzing proposed regulations, drafting comment letters, drafting consumer disclosures, and regulatory exam/supervision support. The role will be particularly focused on strategic legal support for consumer deposit product development and marketing. The candidate may also support departments responding to customer’s complaints about their deposit product. The candidate will also be responsible for reviewing and updating related policies and procedures, as well as other tasks as needed, including research of statutes and regulations affecting consumer and small business deposit accounts.
For additional information on this line of business, refer to the external Careers Site at Wellsfargo.com/career.
In this role, you will:
- Lead complex initiatives with broad impact and act as a key participant in large scale planning
- Provides guidance to senior management on complex legal and regulatory matters with significant impact on business initiatives, strategy, and performance
- Assess legal risk associated with all risk types and develops strategies for reducing legal exposure.
- Lead analysis of and response to legal, regulatory, reputational, compliance, and policy matters within area of expertise
- Identify and analyze complex legal issues, develop conclusions, and make recommendations for issue resolution
- Serve as the primary legal contact for assigned clients
- Collaborate within the department and across business and staff functions to address legal and risk issues in a manner consistent with the best interests of Wells Fargo.
- Take an active role in the development, oversight and delegation of tasks to more junior staff.
- May lead initiatives of varying scope and complexity.
Required Qualifications, US:
- 5+ years of Law experience, or equivalent demonstrated through one or a combination of the following: work experience, training, military experience, education
- Active State Bar Membership
- Experience as a practicing attorney representing banks or fintechs with respect to consumer and small business products and services in law firms, in-house legal roles, or a bank regulatory agency
- Experience with consumer deposit products and the related regulatory environment, including substantial knowledge of UDAAP, Reg DD / Truth in Saving Act (TISA), ESIGN Act, and FTC Dot.Com Disclosures Guidance.
- Ability to analyze legal and regulatory issues in area of practice and provide effective advice to clients on complex legal matters.
- Extensive experience conducting research and providing counsel and guidance regarding complex legal issues.
- Ability to work effectively in a complex environment with a high degree of collaboration.
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Ability to effectively organize and prioritize work while handling multiple matters.
We Value Diversity
At Wells Fargo, we believe in diversity, equity and inclusion in the workplace; accordingly, we welcome applications for employment from all qualified candidates, regardless of race, color, gender, national origin, religion, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, individuals with disabilities, pregnancy, marital status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.
Employees support our focus on building strong customer relationships balanced with a strong risk mitigating and compliance-driven culture which firmly establishes those disciplines as critical to the success of our customers and company. They are accountable for execution of all applicable risk programs (Credit, Market, Financial Crimes, Operational, Regulatory Compliance), which includes effectively following and adhering to applicable Wells Fargo policies and procedures, appropriately fulfilling risk and compliance obligations, timely and effective escalation and remediation of issues, and making sound risk decisions. There is emphasis on proactive monitoring, governance, risk identification and escalation, as well as making sound risk decisions commensurate with the business unit’s risk appetite and all risk and compliance program requirements.
Candidates applying to job openings posted in US: All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, or national origin.
Candidates applying to job openings posted in Canada: Applications for employment are encouraged from all qualified candidates, including women, persons with disabilities, aboriginal peoples and visible minorities. Accommodation for applicants with disabilities is available upon request in connection with the recruitment process.