job id: r0000167610job family: lawschedule: full timelocation: 1000 nicollet mall, minneapolis, minnesota, united states, 55403-2542;
LEAD EMPLOYEE RELATIONS PARALEGAL – INVESTIGATIONS
Date: September 2021
Target is an iconic brand, a Fortune 50 company and one of America’s leading retailers.
To match the signature style and passion of Target’s distinctive and beloved retail brand, Target Legal Affairs is a dynamic and deeply knowledgeable team of legal pros, each with valuable expertise from several disciplines. Whether specializing in government affairs, policy, risk management, regulatory compliance, ethics or employee and labor relations, this team advocates for Target and its business plans in communities across the nation and works across the entire company to provide internal clients with cohesive guidance. We are committed to being internal experts to both internal and external entities on key issues that affect Target’s ability to productively do business. We focus on defining, investigating, anticipating and ultimately mitigating risk in all its forms. We apply our grasp of brand law by overseeing, maintaining and ensuring correct, consistent and authorized use of Target’s signature Bullseye logo, assets and other trademarked material. We help protect Target and its subsidiaries by applying our comprehensive understanding and interpretation of the laws that govern our stores, distribution centers and corporate locations. Here, you’ll enjoy working autonomously with a healthy work-life balance. Your passion for learning the business and building relationships with the senior leaders and key business partners that you support will be key to tackling the ever-changing legal challenges we face in a dynamic and fast-paced retail landscape. From brand and patent law to contract development and negotiations, you’ll be challenged and gratified by a role with Target Legal Affairs.
A role with Employee Relations means the opportunity to provide legal counsel on internal employee relations matters for our domestic field, headquarters and international locations. Your internal clients will be Human Resources and various business leaders, and you’ll consult on investigations and respond to both internal and external claims.
Conducts investigations required to respond to employment-related charges filed with administrative agencies, drafts written responses to charges, collects pertinent data and responds to agency requests for information on Target’s behalf. Assists with legal matters by collecting and organizing information, managing case files, assessing risk based on investigation and making recommendations on defense strategy, providing information and direction to outside counsel, tracking and analyzing data related to administrative charges, and collaborating with Attorneys and other Lead ER Paralegals. Builds great team and client relationships.
- With guidance from Attorneys, conducts the investigations required to respond to employment-related charges filed with administrative agencies, drafts written responses to charges, partners with internal resources to collect and analyze pertinent data and responds to requests for information on Target’s behalf. Develops and executes defense strategy with Attorneys and outside counsel, including analysis of risk, to drive favorable results in the most cost-effective manner. Attends mediations on Target’s behalf as needed, negotiating as necessary, and makes recommendations on whether to settle claims. Analyzes charge trends to identify training needs.
- Gathers, analyzes and coordinates distribution of relevant documentation and information to outside counsel to ensure timely and accurate filing of responses to administrative charges. Facilitates outside counsel communication with employees. Trains outside counsel on Target policies and practices.
- Works closely with Lead ER Paralegals and Attorneys in providing guidance to HR and ER/LR field partners on managing team member claim situations and assessing company exposure on a variety of other employment-related issues and recommends solutions as appropriate by analyzing pros and cons, alternative strategies, past and best practices, etc. Understands HR and business objectives and strategies.
- Manages the status of claims filed with administrative agencies and keeps Lead ER Paralegals and Attorneys advised of developments; identifies high-risk charges based on investigation and appropriately takes partners to mitigate risk.
- Independently prioritizes own work, and exercises a high level of discretion and independent judgment. Works autonomously to represent the ER team in various ER/LR and cross-functional projects, such as the development of litigation and charge management tools, revisions to company policies or practices related to the employment of team members, and other company-wide initiatives with team member impact.
- Functions as a professional team player within the ER/LR team.
- Reports to Regional Attorney.
- Works regularly with all Employee Relations partners as well as multiple client groups, including Stores, HQ, Distribution Operations and HR leaders and teams.
- Has frequent contact with local, state and federal agencies on Target’s behalf.
Job duties may change at any time due to business needs.
- Four-year degree or equivalent, job-related experience
- Significant experience in a law firm or law department setting (employment law specialty), or strong HR-related professional experience with an understanding of employment law
- Demonstrated ability to perform autonomous work with general guidance rather than direction
- Proficient in Microsoft Excel/Word/PowerPoint
- Strong written, communication, critical thinking, analytical, and collaboration skills
- Ability to establish effective, trusted team and client relationships to gain commitment
- Organized, able to prioritize work
- Work independently; self-directed
- Able to solve complex and sometimes ambiguous problems through extensive fact finding and reporting
- Able to manage multiple large projects with competing timelines in a fast-paced environment
- Paralegal degree or certificate, or other legal training
- Working knowledge of Stores and/or Distribution Operations
Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
Target will provide reasonable accommodations (such as a qualified sign language interpreter or other personal assistance) with the application process upon your request as required to comply with applicable laws. If you have a disability and require assistance in this application process, please visit your nearest Target store or Distribution Center or reach out to Guest Services at 1-800-440-0680 for additional information.