Legal Director, the Friends of the Boundary Waters Wilderness
Through advocacy and education, the Friends of the Boundary Waters Wilderness works
to protect, preserve, and restore the wilderness character of the Boundary Waters Canoe
Area Wilderness and the Quetico-Superior ecosystem.
Friends of the Boundary Waters Wilderness (the “Friends”) is seeking a full-time attorney to serve as our Legal Director. In this role, the Legal Director will help set, manage, and implement a legal strategy that furthers the Friends’ mission of protecting, preserving, and restoring the wilderness character of the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness (“Boundary Waters”) and the Quetico-Superior ecosystem.
A major focus of the Friends is to protect this ecosystem from threats posed by proposed copper-sulfide mines such as PolyMet and Twin Metals. This position provides oversight of our outside legal counsel and works with coalition partners to set legal strategies for these topics. This position also identifies emerging legal and conservation issues facing the ecosystem and develops legal regulatory, administrative, and litigation strategies to address these issues. In addition, this position manages real estate, employment, intellectual property, reporting and compliance, and other legal issues relating to the operation of a nonprofit organization.
• Manages the Friends’ ongoing federal and state litigation involving the Twin Metals and PolyMet copper-sulfide mines, including working closely with the Friends’ outside legal counsel and co-counsel from other nonprofit organizations to set litigation strategies relating to these mining projects.
• Assists in writing comments in response to mining plans
• Manages legal issues relating to the operation of a nonprofit organization, including employment, cybersecurity, intellectual property, and reporting and compliance requirements
• Builds and participates in collaborative relationships with the Friends’ nonprofit partners
• Juris Doctorate degree.
• A minimum of five years of environmental, related practice, or legal advocacy experience.
• Licensed to practice law in good standing in Minnesota or be able to become licensed
• Excellent litigation and legal advocacy skills, including legal research, writing and oral advocacy skills.
• Initiative, good judgment, and a strong work ethic.
• Ability to work independently and in collaboration with staff and outside partners.
• Passion for preserving the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness
• Public Policy experience is a plus