Legal Secretary / Legal Administrative Assistant
The Minnesota Attorney General is the chief legal officer for the State of Minnesota and is currently seeking candidates to fill four full-time Legal Secretary/Legal Administrative Assistant vacancies in the Education Division, Transportation Division, Health & Teacher Licensing Division, and the Postconviction Division of the office. The successful candidate should be comfortable in a professional environment and must have the ability to multitask, be highly organized and detail-oriented. This is an opportunity to be part of a team of professionals whose common mission is to make a positive difference in the lives of all Minnesotans.
Examples of Job Duties:
- Type via transcription or handwritten copy, legal correspondence, memoranda, and other complex documents that support the work of attorneys and other legal staff;
- Format, proofread, and edit work product by applying standard legal formats, legal terminology and citations, business English, grammar, punctuation and spelling.
- Create, organize, and maintain up-to-date and accurate legal files;
- Research information so that references and citations are accurate by using the appropriate legal reference materials;
- Facilitate the administration of legal proceedings by communicating orally with court personnel, attorneys, and clients; schedule meetings, maintain calendars, arrange for court reporters, prepare meeting materials, make travel arrangements; and
- Photocopy and assemble legal documents and exhibits; compose routine correspondence.
- Legal Administrative Assistant or Legal Secretary certification from an accredited program or experience working as a Legal Administrative Assistant or Legal Secretary;
- Must type a minimum of 60 words per minute (test administered);
- The ability to use word processing software sufficient to type, format, edit and finalize legal documents and other written materials that are properly formatted, grammatically correct and error free (tests administered); and
- Knowledge of legal terminology sufficient to perform the job duties effectively.
Selected candidates will be subject to a pre-employment background check as a condition of employment.
Why Work for us:
The Office of Attorney General Keith Ellison – one of Minnesota’s largest public law offices – has a clear mission: we help Minnesotans afford their lives and live with dignity and respect. We’re a dynamic group of dedicated people who could all work elsewhere but choose public service as a calling. We invite you to apply to be part of the internal culture that supports that calling. We invite you to apply to be part of the team that helps recruit, support and train dedicated attorneys, legal assistants, investigators and other staff, all focused on helping Minnesotans.
We offer a great benefits package! The State of Minnesota offers a comprehensive benefits package including low cost medical and dental insurance, employer paid life insurance, short and long term disability, pre-tax flexible spending accounts, retirement plan, tax-deferred compensation, generous vacation and sick leave, and 11 paid holidays each year.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates must apply online through the State of Minnesota Careers website, which is the State’s official application and hiring site.
1. Go to www.mn.gov/careers;
2. Apply for job posting number:
- 48790 – Education Division – application deadline 10/01/2021
- 48870 – Transportation Division – application deadline 10/01/2021
- 49193 – Health & Teacher Licensing Division – application deadline 10/06/2021
- 49193 – Postconviction Division – application deadline 10/06/2021
If you have questions about the position, contact please K.C. Moua at email@example.com or (651) 757-1279.
Note: The Attorney General’s Office greatly encourages, celebrates and values diversity. It is an equal opportunity employer which does not discriminate on the basis of race, creed, color, national origin, religion, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, or military status. If you need reasonable accommodation for a disability, please call K.C. Moua at (651) 757-1279 or (800) 627-3529 (Minnesota Relay).