Mid-Minnesota Legal Assistance (MMLA) – Full-time Staff Attorney
Mid-Minnesota Legal Assistance (MMLA) is seeking a full-time Staff Attorney with the Immigration Law Project (ILP) based in its Minneapolis Office. The ILP provides legal representation to clients in a full range of immigration contexts including removal work, adjustment of status, applications for citizenship and VAWA-based cases including U and T visas. ILP works closely with other units within MMLA to provide holistic legal services. This position will start as soon as possible after an offer is extended. This position allows for a hybrid work environment.
As an equal opportunity employer, MMLA is committed to inclusive hiring and dedicated to diversity in our work and staff. We strongly encourage candidates of all identities, experiences, and communities to apply. We welcome information about how your experience can contribute to serving our diverse client communities. Applicants are encouraged to share in their cover letter how they can further our goal of equal justice for all. We are committed to a discrimination- and harassment-free workplace.
BACKGROUND: MMLA’s mission is to advocate for the legal rights of disadvantaged people to have safe, healthy, and independent lives in their communities. MMLA provides civil legal representation to clients with low incomes and seniors in 21 counties in central Minnesota, and to people with disabilities throughout the state. MMLA’s Minneapolis office primarily serves clients who reside in Hennepin and Anoka Counties. MMLA receives funding from a variety of public and private sources and enjoys strong support from the organized bar.
- Apply the principles of MMLA’s Racial Justice Values Statement in all work-related business and interactions.
- Provide full representation to individuals in immigration court in both detained and non-detained cases. This includes: preparing and submitting written pleadings, motions and appropriate applications for relief from removal; preparing clients, witnesses, and experts for individual hearings; and submitting appeals to the Board of Immigration Appeals, when appropriate.
- Provide full representation to individuals in affirmative immigration cases. This includes: preparing and submitting applications to the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service; maintaining contact with clients throughout representation; advising potential clients of their options or lack of options to apply for an immigration benefit; assessing clients’ criminal records and advising them of the immigration consequences; preparing clients for interviews; and submitting appeals when appropriate.
- Conduct outreach to community and organizations within our service area on know your rights topics, our legal services, or other immigration related topics.
- Assist ILP in grant proposals, reports, and data maintenance.
- Maintain a docket with both court cases and benefits cases, analyzing each case and resolving legal issues in a timely manner.
- Maintain case and client information in compliance with MMLA protocols, grant requirements, and ethical obligations.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Must be licensed to practice law in the State of Minnesota, eligible for admission by reciprocity, or sitting for the Minnesota bar exam in July 2022.
- Demonstrated interest in and commitment to the needs of low-income/vulnerable clients.
- Demonstrated interest and ability to represent clients with complicated and traumatic histories.
- Excellent analytical and written and verbal communication skills.
- Efficient, detail-oriented, and able to multi-task demanding workload.
- At least 2 years of immigration law experience preferred.
- Legal training, knowledge of community resources, and experience with case management software preferred.
- Diverse economic, social, and cultural experiences preferred.
- Language proficiency, particularly in Spanish or Somali, preferred.
Mid-Minnesota Legal Aid offers a competitive salary and robust benefits package, including family medical and dental insurance, short- and long-term disability, life insurance, 403(b) with employer match, FSA, employee assistance programs, and generous paid time off.
APPLICATIONS: Submit resume and cover letter expressing interest in the position online at https://mylegalaid.org/employment by June 10th, 2022, or until position is filled.
If you require a reasonable accommodation for completing this application, interviewing, or otherwise participating in our employee selection process, please contact Jolene Chestnut at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please direct all other inquiries to email@example.com.
Mid-Minnesota Legal Aid is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer.