Minnesota Department of Revenue – Attorney 1
Who May Apply: Open to all qualified job seekers
Date Posted: 10/05/2019
Closing Date: 10/25/2019
Hiring Agency/Seniority Unit: Minnesota Department of Revenue / Revenue-Severed
Division/Unit: Appeals & Legal Services / Legal Services 2
Work Shift/Work Hours: Day Shift (initially 8:30 – 5:00)
Travel Required: Yes – 25%
Salary Range: $26.30 – $38.75/hourly; $54,914 – $80,910/annually
Classified Status: Classified
Bargaining Unit/Union: 219 – Severed/Unrep
FLSA Status: Exempt – Professional
Connect 700 Program Eligible: Yes
This posting may be used to fill multiple vacancies.
Provide legal counsel to the Minnesota Department of Revenue in subject areas concerning Sales & Use Tax, and as assigned; drafting administrative rules and legislation in the subject areas; testifying at legislative hearings; drafting litigation documents such as pleadings, subpoenas, motions and appearing in court; representing the Department of Revenue at contested case or rule hearings; identifying legal and policy issues across tax types and ensuring that all interested parties are aware of and understand the issues; consult with and advise other attorneys in the division concerning the work of the division; and take on special assignments on a project or need basis.
- Graduation from an ABA-approved law school.
- Admission to the Bar (license) to practice law in Minnesota is required prior to appointment.
- Authorized to practice law in Minnesota.
- Knowledge of state and federal judicial and administrative procedures and the rules of evidence.
- Applicants who meet the above experience requirements will be further evaluated based on the following:
- Skill in analyzing, appraising, and organizing facts, laws, and legal precedents.
- Human relations and communication skills sufficient to work in a professional and courteous manner.
- Ability to understand, interpret, and explain laws, rules, and regulations.
- Ability to present cases and information before decision-making bodies.
- Ability to clearly and simply describe and explain legal problems and to provide legal advice.
- Ability to communicate effectively.
- Legal research skills.
- Ability to participate in formal and informal judicial and administrative proceedings, ascertain facts, and arrive at logical conclusions.
- Ability and skill sufficient to draft litigation documents such as pleadings, subpoenas, and motions.
- Ability and skill sufficient to appear in court or before other quasi-judicial body in which there are hearings, orders, judgments or other activities similar to those conducted by courts.
- Knowledge of state statutes, rules, and cases in the laws related to the subject areas of sales and use taxes including the areas concerning local taxes, motor vehicle sales tax, and streamlined sales tax program.
- One or more years of experience drafting litigation documents such as pleadings, subpoenas, and motions.
- One or more years of experience representing clients in formal and informal judicial and administrative proceedings and appearing in court.
- Work experience in the area of state, local, or federal taxation; or strong academic background with tax-related coursework.
- Work experience at the Minnesota State Legislature or state agencies.
- Knowledge of the administrative and regulatory functions of the Minnesota Department of Revenue’s Appeals and Legal Services Division.
- Experience using a legal research website.
- Experience writing and speaking effectively.
Requires occasional moving of articles such as file folders, laptop computer, and resource materials.
Prior to an offer of employment, a background check will be conducted. This will include, but is not limited to checking degrees and licensures, criminal history, and tax filing and payment history. All individual income tax filing and payment obligations must be current prior to interviewing for this position.
Must be legally authorized to work in country of employment without sponsorship for employment visa status (e.g., H1B status).
Why Work For Us
GREAT BENEFITS PACKAGE! The State of Minnesota offers a comprehensive benefits package including low cost medical and dental insurance, employer paid life insurance, short and long term disability, pre-tax flexible spending accounts, retirement plan, tax-deferred compensation, generous vacation and sick leave, and 11 paid holidays each year.
How to Apply
Click “MN Careers” . If you have questions about applying for jobs, contact the job information line at 651-259-3637.
For additional information about the application process, go to http://www.mn.gov/careers.
If you have questions about the position, contact Janel Lane at email@example.com or 651-556-6444.