Office of the Corporate Secretary Team Lead – US Bank
U.S. Bancorp is seeking a successor to its Chief Counsel responsible for leading the Office of the Corporate Secretary. This new leader will join the team and immediately work to develop a deep understanding of the bank’s corporate secretary legal support function. The incumbent will manage a small team responsible for corporate governance, board support, proxy statement and executive compensation support, and ESG support for U.S. Bancorp, an NYSE-listed Fortune 500 company and the parent of U.S. Bank, the fifth largest commercial bank in the
• Provides a focal point for communication with the board of directors, senior management, and the firm’s shareholders, prepares and maintains official corporate documents pertaining to the corporation, in order to fulfill statutory and by-law requirements.
• Consistently provides excellent advice and guidance to assigned clients and colleagues on a wide range of legal matters, primarily corporate governance, board of directors’ duties and responsibilities, proxy statement and executive compensation matters, and environmental, social and governance (ESG) matters.
• Manages and works to retain a highly competent team of corporate attorneys and legal professionals to represent the company.
• Collaborates towards an investment in the overall development of the legal department, including in unique program areas such as DE&I, equity and racial justice, well-being, pro bono, and teambuilding and recognition.
• Typically requires minimum of 15 years’ experience with extensive focus and expertise in corporate, securities and public company law, and minimum of 10 years’ management experience.
• A J.D. from an accredited law school and strong academic credentials is required, and the incumbent must be admitted to at least one state bar.
• Financial Institution and Banking industry experience is preferred, but not required.
Successful candidates for positions in the U.S. Bank Law Division consistently provide excellent advice and guidance to clients and colleagues on a variety of legal matters. They build trusting relationships that allow the business to make well-informed decisions. They work to attract, retain, and develop great people in an inclusive environment where each person is valued for the distinct skills and attributes they bring to the group. And they contribute to the excellence of the Law Division through meaningful collaboration, participation in the community, and investment in the development of the department.