LEGAL ABBOTT PARK, ILLINOIS, UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
Abbott is a global healthcare leader that helps people live more fully at all stages of life. Our portfolio of life-changing technologies spans the spectrum of healthcare, with leading businesses and products in diagnostics, medical devices, nutritionals and branded generic medicines. Our 103,000 colleagues serve people in more than 160 countries.
Core Job Responsibilities:
The Paralegal is a strong individual contributor to the Litigation department working towards successful resolution of commercial litigation matters, having the potential to substantially impact the Company’s business operations.
- Assists attorneys to resolve routine and moderately complex to complex legal matters that involve various functional areas or divisions within Abbott with minimal supervision;
- Independently identifies problems, performs analysis and proposes solutions to a more experienced paralegal or attorney;
- Possesses solid knowledge of Abbott’s businesses supported and knowledge of the broader business impact;
- Represents Legal Division internally to clients; and
- Reviews invoices associated with payment for services, ensuring costs are reasonable, in scope of work performed and meet outside counsel billing guidelines.
- Independently manages discovery for commercial litigation matters, having a substantial impact to the Company, and performs all tasks timely:
- Assists with initial fact investigation for potential and pending litigation;
- Prepares and sends out legal holds to the appropriate employees within the company and manages legal hold compliance and questionnaire responses;
- Schedules and attends witness interviews;
- Identifies relevant document and data sources, coordinates collection of company documents for discovery and other requests;
- Assists in deposition preparation of company witnesses by analyzing the information and determining relevancy; and
- Assists counsel with trial preparation.
- Responds to subpoenas and requests for information with minimal supervision, including identification, collection, review and preparation of documents for production.
- Manages outside counsel, outside paralegals and vendors and eDiscovery vendor budget for assigned matters.
- Provides support on periodic and special projects.
- Coaches and directs assigned support staff (e.g. legal assistants and junior paralegals) in their responsibilities.
- Serves as role model for support staff.
- Typically reports to Paralegal Supervisor or an attorney.
- Executes core job responsibilities in a timely manner.
- Assigned matters generally have a significant impact on business activities and operations.
- Interacts across all levels of management within the Company.
- No direct department budget responsibility; must however operate within budget. Develops estimates for outside counsel fees for assigned legal matters with supervision from more experienced paralegals and/or attorneys.
- Requires discretion, independent judgment and critical thinking.
- Requires strong computer, communication, writing, organizational and project management skills and ability to multitask in a demanding legal environment.
- Bachelor’s Degree and/or relevant legal education (Paralegal Certificate)
- Generally, 2+ years of paralegal experience, including direct experience in commercial litigation.
- Intellectual property litigation experience is a plus but is not required.
- Proficient in area of responsibility