Volunteer Lawyers Network (VLN) seeks a program director to supervise service delivery and help lead its 23-person staff and hundreds of volunteers in achieving its mission to protect and promote the basic human needs of people in poverty through the power of legal volunteers.
Volunteer Lawyers Network (VLN) is a private non-profit organization affiliated with the Hennepin County Bar Association. VLN provides free advice and legal representation to low-income individuals through volunteer attorneys, interpreters and other legal professionals throughout the state of Minnesota.
- Organizational Leadership
- Work with the Executive Director to develop agency-wide goals in alignment with VLN’s mission, vision, and strategic plan.
- Ensure alignment of program activities with VLN’s mission, values, and organizational goals.
- Participate in planning staff-wide trainings, including the annual staff retreat.
- Participate in committees, task forces, activities through the bar association, the courts, and the legal services community to promote VLN mission and programming.
- Program Management
- Supervise program delivery, including directly supervising all attorney program managers and ensuring that program goals and activities are aligned with VLN’s mission and organizational goals.
- Oversee grant management, reporting, and compliance. Work with development staff to identify and apply for funding opportunities.
- Oversee VLN’s intake systems and align intake with client and programmatic needs.
- Support ED in developing and maintaining policies and procedures that facilitate efficient and effective administration of the organization.
- Personnel Management
- Supervise program management staff, including monitoring adherence to organizational policies and procedures, conducting performance reviews, and promoting staff development.
- Supervise recruiting, selecting, orienting, and new program managers.
- Set goals for performance and deadlines in ways that comply with VLN’s plans, vision, and values.
- Organizes workflow and ensuring that employees understand their duties or delegated tasks.
- Board of Directors
- Actively participate in and staff the External Affairs Committee;
- Assist the Executive Director to support board member activities and engagement.
- QUALIFICATIONS: Successfully fulfilling the above responsibilities will require the following skills and experience:
- J.D. required/licensed in Minnesota;
- Demonstrated commitment to serving low-income communities and communities of color.
- Experience managing and engaging individual employees and teams;
- Strong leadership skills and a leadership style that inspires and encourages professional growth in others;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills;
- Pro bono or legal services experience preferred.
- Knowledge of local community resources a plus;
- Good organizational skills and ability to multi-task;
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office products required;
Applications should include a resume, a letter explaining interest in this position, and salary requirements. Resumes will be accepted until the position is filled.
Information should be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org