About Blue Cross
Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Minnesota is one of the most recognized and trusted health care brands in the world with 2.9 million members. We’re committed to reinventing health care to improve health for our members and the community. We hope you’ll join us. Please note that effective 11/23/2021, all associates must be fully vaccinated for COVID19 unless legally entitled to a reasonable accommodation related to religious or medical exemptions.
How Is This Role Important to Our Work?
Provides legal advice and services to corporate development department and the diversified business division in support of a variety transactions. Responsible for handling general corporate legal projects for the organization, including joint venture, merger and acquisition, investment, and other strategic activities. Duties span reviewing information and data, researching laws, regulations, and precedents, and preparing recommendations and/or documents to support the organization’s transactional initiatives and strategic activities. Work with outside counsel to complete assignments.
We are the first in-house law department of any health care company in the United States to sign the well-being pledge for legal employers through the American Bar Association. We regularly and actively support attorneys and legal staff to take care of themselves and seek to improve their health and well-being. Some examples of this support include culture building activities and regular education and communication on well-being, mental health, and substance use disorders.
This role will be Hybrid
A Day in the Life:
- Provide legal counsel and advice on health care and other investment, merger, joint venture, acquisition, and divesture transactions.
- Provide legal advice on sophisticated issues which require significant legal and business experience.
- Perform legal and factual research vital to draft and analyze various contracts, communications, and other documents.
- Assist in the legal review, preparation and negotiation of NDAs, intercompany agreements, investment (debt and equity investments) and M&A transaction documents.
- Provide counsel on entity and transaction structure options.
- Identify potential legal issues related to business practices and policies and counsel business personnel accordingly.
- Collaborate with colleagues across the legal, business and compliance departments.
- Evaluate legal and business risks associated with projects and determine and craft appropriate legal solutions to meet business needs.
- Supervise and direct outside counsel retained on behalf of the Company or one or more of its subsidiaries.
- Develop standard methodologies for addressing emerging legal and business risks.
Within 12 months you will:
- Develop strategic partnerships with key collaborators
- Identify legal issues relating to corporate development matters
Required Skills and Experiences:
- JD required with an active license to practice law.
- 5+ years of proven experience in corporate and transactional practice.
- Specialized legal experience in matters related to: mergers and acquisitions, minority investments, and corporate counsel matters.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and respond and manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Effective leadership skills, which demonstrate the ability to participate in innovation and change, critical thinking, and problem solving.
- Outstanding communication skills in both written and verbal presentation, including all aspects of legal writing technique and procedure, and the ability to convey complex legal concepts to non-lawyers!
- Understanding of entity and transaction structure options.
Make a difference
Blue Cross is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer that values diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to, and will not be discriminated against based on race, color, creed, religion, sex, national origin, genetic information, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, disability, age, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, or any other legally protected characteristic.
Reasonable Accommodation for Job Seekers with a Disability: If you require reasonable accommodation in completing this application, interviewing, completing any pre-employment testing, or otherwise participating in the employee selection process, please direct your inquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org.
All roles require a high school diploma (or equivalency) and legal authorization to work in the U.S.
Blue Cross® and Blue Shield® of Minnesota and Blue Plus® are nonprofit independent licensees of the Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association.