Senior Company Counsel – Complex Mortgage Litigation
Job ID 5596815Job Description
Important Note: During the application process, ensure your contact information (email and phone number) is up to date and upload your current resume when submitting your application for consideration. To participate in some selection activities you will need to respond to an invitation. The invitation can be sent by both email and text message. In order to receive text message invitations, your profile must include a mobile phone number designated as “Personal Cell” or “Cellular” in the contact information of your application.
At Wells Fargo, we are looking for talented people who will put our customers at the center of everything we do. We are seeking candidates who embrace diversity, equity and inclusion in a workplace where everyone feels valued and inspired.
Help us build a better Wells Fargo. It all begins with outstanding talent. It all begins with you.
Legal – Our vision is to advance the company’s strategy, support its transformation, and effectively manage risk through a team known for collaboration, sound judgment, and proactive advice.
We support our vision with four strategic pillars: Integrated Business Advice, Risk Management, Talent & Leadership Development, and Operational Excellence. #LegalDeptJobs
We are seeking an experienced litigation attorney to join the Litigation Regulatory Enforcement and Investigation Division of our Legal Department. The individual selected will join a team of attorneys responsible for handling complex mortgage related defensive litigation for Wells Fargo and its subsidiaries. Specifically this individual will manage a case load of complex civil actions, including class actions. This attorney will conduct research and analysis on matters pertaining to various aspects of the mortgage business; represent the corporation in negotiations and settlements with outside parties, their counsel, or governmental agencies; they will also provide legal advice and strategy recommendations; and create reporting for various audiences.
Responsibilities for a senior company counsel also include but not limited to:
- Applies cross-disciplinary or specialty expertise proactively to manage the most complex legal and regulatory issues.
- Expertly handles matters that have a significant impact on the Company’s operations, strategies, or profitability.
- Develops relationships with and provides guidance to senior leadership, including executive officers, on issues that may present legal, regulatory, compliance, or reputational risk to the Company.
- Recognized as an expert in highly complex areas of the law, having demonstrated the ability to address significant legal matters; which may span multiple business lines and practice groups.
- Collaborates within the department and across business and staff functions to address legal and risk issues in a manner consistent with the best interests of Wells Fargo.
- Takes an active role in the development of more junior staff. May lead major initiatives.
- 10+ years of experience as a practicing attorney; or 8+ years of experience as a practicing attorney and 2+ years of legal-related experience in one or a combination of the following areas: risk, compliance, contracts, government, regulatory, financial services, or technology. Active State Bar membership
- Active State Bar membership
- Ability to analyze legal and regulatory issues in area of practice and provide effective advice to clients on complex legal matters
- Extensive experience conducting research and providing counsel and guidance regarding complex legal issues
- Strong attention to detail and accuracy skills
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills
- Ability to effectively organize and prioritize work while handling multiple matters
- Ability to work effectively in a complex environment with a high degree of collaboration
- Effective in building partnerships, functioning well with project teams, and working for the success of the team
Other Desired Qualifications
- Knowledge and experience with class action matters at all litigation stages
- Prior consumer lending litigation experience, mortgage litigation experience is a plus
- 10+ years of litigation experience, with relevant in-house experience and complex litigation experience
- Extensive experience in state and federal mortgage-related laws, regulations and enterprise HR policies
- Demonstrated ability to work with executives, and mentor and develop junior attorneys
- Ability to travel up to 20% of the time
Visit https://www.wellsfargo.com/about/careers/benefits for benefits information.