Senior Corporate Counsel – Intellectual Property – Best Buy
This position is expected to work in a hybrid model (three days per week in the office) based out of our corporate campus located in Richfield, Minnesota.
Best Buy has an immediate opening for an experienced attorney to serve as Senior Corporate Counsel – Intellectual Property. This role will focus on strategy development and management of Best Buy’s IP portfolio, with a focus on trademarks.
Best Buy is a leading consumer electronics retailer operating in the United States and Canada. The Best Buy family of brands and partnerships has more than $50 billion in annual revenue and includes brands such as Best Buy, Best Buy Health, Current Health, Lively, Geek Squad, Best Buy Ads, Yardbird, Magnolia Audio Video, and Pacific Sales.
We believe that our company’s success depends on the passion and creativity of our amazing employees. To create environments in which our people can fully thrive, we turn to our guiding behaviors: Be human. Make it real. Think about tomorrow. These set the tone for Best Buy, along with our Rallying Cry: Let’s talk about what’s possible. Our supportive leaders collaborate with their teams through ongoing feedback and two-way dialogue to maintain a culture of continual learning. All these factors combine to create an unbeatable experience for both customers and employees. If you like to have fun while you work, build confidence and grow your career, you’ll fit right in.
- Strategy development for Best Buy’s domestic and international trademark portfolio
- Management of clearance, prosecution, maintenance, and enforcement for Best Buy’s trademark portfolio
- Integrating and partnering with Best Buy’s internal business clients to understand and meet their business objectives and legal needs with respect to trademark and general IP matters
- Support of patent prosecution process
- Consulting, advising, and negotiating agreements with respect to IP matters, and supporting due diligence projects as related to IP
- Management of direct reports
- Management of outside counsel and internal budgets
- JD degree from an ABA-accredited law school and admitted to practice law in at least one state
- 8 years of experience with a law firm and/or a major corporation
- 5 years of trademark experience
- Superior written and oral communication skills with the ability to communicate across all levels of an organization
- Highly professional and adept at finding creative and practical solutions
- Independent decision maker
- Organizational and analytical skills, a demonstrated ability to manage multiple tasks, excellent client relation skills, detail-oriented, and an ability to work quickly and independently in a fast-paced corporate environment
- Multi-brand experience
- Experience managing a team
- Familiar with IP management products and services from DIAMS, Appdetex, and Corsearch