Ameriprise Financial Services LLC. is offering an exciting opportunity for an experienced licensed attorney to become an integral part of the GCO Advice and Wealth Management Practice Group, supporting Retail Advice offerings including financial planning, digital advice and managed accounts, as well as supporting the Global Conflicts program and Form ADV and BD filings. This high visibility legal position will provide advice on cutting edge, innovative products and services that represent the core value proposition of our business.
The attorney in this position will play a key role in providing legal support, benchmarking and thought leadership to businesses developing and maintaining our managed accounts, which include retail discretionary and non-discretionary offerings. These accounts collectively manage approximately $450 billion in invested assets, making Ameriprise Financial the largest independent broker-dealer (IBD) in the managed account space. This attorney will also support and continue to develop our industry leading financial planning business, which is our differentiating value proposition. The attorney in this position will provide advice on key regulatory matters, will seek to influence the development of regulatory policy and will be a crucial advocate and participant in industry committees.
- Provide expertise and application of the federal securities laws impacting all aspects of retail investment advice, including Regulation Best Interest, the Investment Advisers Act and applicable FINRA rules and state securities regulations.
- Providing legal advice on managed account offerings, including discretionary and non – discretionary accounts.
- Advising senior business leaders on legal and regulatory issues relating to Ameriprise’s core value proposition of providing goal-based advice in one of two ways: Comprehensive Advice or Foundational Advice.
- Reviewing and drafting various client facing disclosures and agreements to support new products/services and to address regulatory changes, including regulatory filings on Forms ADV and BD.
- Supporting the conflicts of interest program at the global and business segment levels, including monitoring, documenting, and advising on conflicts of interests and associated controls.
- Cultivating and promoting relationships with key business partners and fostering and promoting a culture of compliance.
- Conducting research regarding legal and regulatory requirements as well as benchmarking industry practices.
- Collaborating with Compliance personnel on relevant compliance related matters and identifying, developing, and implementing control enhancements and risk mitigation strategies.
- Interacting with federal, state or SRO regulatory personnel to respond to regulatory requests examinations or inquiries or to participate in committee work.
- Providing support and direction to direct and indirect reports.
- Working with regulators, outside counsel and independent experts from time to time on examinations and other issues.
- JD with extensive experience and expertise in the Investment Adviser’s Act of 1940, state securities and investment management statutes and regulations (i.e. Regulation Best Interest and FINRA), and applicable self-regulatory organization rules;
- 5+ years of experience as a practicing attorney supporting the financial services industry.
- Ability to influence, gain credibility and develop strong working relationships with business partners and external constituencies.
- Knowledge of applicable regulatory and industry trends.
- Excellent interpersonal, problem-solving, communication, presentation and contract drafting and negotiation skills.
- Proven leadership and change management skills.
- Admitted to practice law in the state of Minnesota, Massachusetts or New York or eligible for admission as house counsel.
- Participation/experience on industry committees (such as SIFMA, NASAA, FINRA or others).
About Our Company
At Ameriprise Financial, we’re not just in the business of helping clients with their financial goals – we also help our advisors and employees reach their true potential by embracing an inclusive and collaborative culture. We celebrate the unique qualities and reward the contributions of our talented, passionate employees. If you’re motivated and want to work for a strong, ethical company that cares about you and your community, take the next step with Ameriprise Financial.
Ameriprise Financial is an equal opportunity employer. We consider all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, genetic information, age, sexual orientation, citizenship, gender identity, disability, veteran status, marital status, family status or any other basis prohibited by law.
Full-Time / Part-Time
Job Family Group
Line of Business
General Counsel’s Organization