About this role:
Wells Fargo is seeking a Senior Counsel to join the Cards and Merchant Services Section within the Consumer Lending Division of the Legal Department. The individual selected will join a team of legal professionals responsible for providing legal support to the Merchant Services business line.
In this role, you will:
- Proactively apply cross-disciplinary legal expertise to better identify and help manage legal and business risks on significant enterprise-level issues.
- Provide advice and guidance on various federal and state regulations and laws impacting the Merchant Services group, as well as analyzing the corresponding policies, standards, and procedures.
- Expertly handle matters (including the negotiation of contracts) that have a significant impact on the Company’s operations, strategies, or profitability.
- Develop relationships with and provide guidance to Legal Department senior leadership, executive officers, and senior business leadership across the Company on issues that may present legal, regulatory, compliance, or reputational risk to the Company.
- Provide guidance to management on legal and regulatory matters impacting business strategy and policy or claims against the Company.
- Independently resolve moderately complex issues and lead team to meet deliverables
- Exercise considerable discretion and may serve as the primary legal contact for assigned clients.
- 4+ years of Law experience, or equivalent demonstrated through one or a combination of the following: work experience, training, military experience, education
- Active State Bar membership
- Experience as a practicing attorney.
- Experience with credit, debit, and other payment card acquiring, including direct and indirect (e.g. sponsorship/ISO channel) sales arrangements.
- Experience with credit card/debit card network rules and regulations.
- Experience with corporate process, federal and/or state licensing or acquiring and/or money transmitter rules and regulations.
- Experience with issues relating to credit card acquiring in international markets.
- Experience drafting and negotiating merchant, service provider and sponsored entity contracts.
- Experience advising senior management on changes in laws and regulations.
- Ability to evaluate impacts based on changes in laws/regulations and develop company response.
- Experience analyzing legal and regulatory issues in area of practice and provide effective counsel to clients on complex legal matters.
- Strong attention to detail and accuracy.
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Ability to work effectively in a complex environment with a high degree of collaboration
We Value Diversity
At Wells Fargo, we believe in diversity, equity and inclusion in the workplace; accordingly, we welcome applications for employment from all qualified candidates, regardless of race, color, gender, national origin, religion, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, individuals with disabilities, pregnancy, marital status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.
Employees support our focus on building strong customer relationships balanced with a strong risk mitigating and compliance-driven culture which firmly establishes those disciplines as critical to the success of our customers and company. They are accountable for execution of all applicable risk programs (Credit, Market, Financial Crimes, Operational, Regulatory Compliance), which includes effectively following and adhering to applicable Wells Fargo policies and procedures, appropriately fulfilling risk and compliance obligations, timely and effective escalation and remediation of issues, and making sound risk decisions. There is emphasis on proactive monitoring, governance, risk identification and escalation, as well as making sound risk decisions commensurate with the business unit’s risk appetite and all risk and compliance program requirements.
Candidates applying to job openings posted in US: All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, or national origin.
Candidates applying to job openings posted in Canada: Applications for employment are encouraged from all qualified candidates, including women, persons with disabilities, aboriginal peoples and visible minorities. Accommodation for applicants with disabilities is available upon request in connection with the recruitment process.