Senior Counsel – Corporate Governance
About this role:
Wells Fargo is seeking a Senior Counsel in the Legal Department as part of the Corporate Governance section of the Enterprise Functions division. For additional information on this line of business, refer to the external Careers Site at Wellsfargo.com/career.
In this role, you will:
- Provide legal support and guidance to the Board of Directors and Committees of Wells Fargo & Company, Wells Fargo Bank, N.A.
- Assist with the preparation of the Wells Fargo Proxy Statement and related processes, including director independence processes (e.g., D&O questionnaire), and Annual Shareholders Meeting
- Monitor developments in, and guide, governance practices and policies for the Company
- Draft and review minutes, resolutions and board & committee meeting materials
- Review Governance Guidelines and Committee charters, Company by-laws and other corporate documents and policies
- Proactively identify policy, legal, and regulatory matters pertaining to area of expertise, and evaluate the legal risk and impact
- Independently resolve moderately complex issues and lead team to meet deliverables
- Exercise considerable discretion and may serve as the primary legal contact for assigned clients
- Collaborate within the department and across business and staff functions to address legal and risk issues in a manner consistent with the best interests of Wells Fargo.
- Coach, mentor, and provide oversight for less experienced staff
- Lead initiatives of varying scope and complexity
- Manage outside counsel and other service providers, as needed
- 4+ years of Law experience, or equivalent demonstrated through one or a combination of the following: work experience, training, military experience, education
- Active State Bar membership
- Experience with legal issues specific to corporate governance, Delaware General Corporate Law and exchange listing standards
- Experience with bank regulations relating to governance is a plus but not required
- Experience drafting and reviewing minutes, resolutions and board & committee meeting materials
- Securities law knowledge including Proxy Statements, Forms 8-K, no-action letters
- “Always learning” attitude about emerging trends and risks in corporate governance
- Experience as a practicing attorney
- Strong attention to detail and accuracy
- Superior organizational and analytical skills
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills
- Ability to work effectively in a complex environment with a high degree of collaboration
- Ability to work a hybrid schedule, in office at least 3 days a week
- Ability to work at one of our approved job posting locations
- New York, NY
- Minneapolis, MN
- Des Moines, IA
- Charlotte, NC
- Washington, D.C.
We Value Diversity
At Wells Fargo, we believe in diversity, equity and inclusion in the workplace; accordingly, we welcome applications for employment from all qualified candidates, regardless of race, color, gender, national origin, religion, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, individuals with disabilities, pregnancy, marital status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.
Employees support our focus on building strong customer relationships balanced with a strong risk mitigating and compliance-driven culture which firmly establishes those disciplines as critical to the success of our customers and company. They are accountable for execution of all applicable risk programs (Credit, Market, Financial Crimes, Operational, Regulatory Compliance), which includes effectively following and adhering to applicable Wells Fargo policies and procedures, appropriately fulfilling risk and compliance obligations, timely and effective escalation and remediation of issues, and making sound risk decisions. There is emphasis on proactive monitoring, governance, risk identification and escalation, as well as making sound risk decisions commensurate with the business unit’s risk appetite and all risk and compliance program requirements.
Candidates applying to job openings posted in US: All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
Candidates applying to job openings posted in Canada: Applications for employment are encouraged from all qualified candidates, including women, persons with disabilities, aboriginal peoples and visible minorities. Accommodation for applicants with disabilities is available upon request in connection with the recruitment process.