Careers that Change Lives
This position has the responsibility to provide and manage internal and external legal resources for complex business development-related transactions, including acquisitions, divestitures, joint ventures, minority investments, fund formation, non-M&A business development programs and arrangements and other complex transactions. Support the Senior Legal Director, M&A and Business Development, the Medtronic Corporate Development function, Operating Units and Regional Business Units to timely and effectively structure and complete Medtronic business acquisitions, sales, joint ventures, minority investments, fund formation and other complex business development-related transactions. Mentor, train and supervise junior members of Business Development Legal COE team in connection with transactional work and other function-specific projects.
We seek out and hire a diverse workforce at every level: We need fresh ideas and inclusive insights to continue to be an innovative industry leader —that is why we make it a point to seek out, attract and develop employees who are patient-centric, passionate, and who represent the same wide variety of life experiences as our patients.
The preference is to have this position reside in Minneapolis; however, we would consider other locations within the U.S. for the right candidate.
A Day in the Life
Responsibilities may include the following and other duties may be assigned.
- Serve as lead transaction counsel on Strategic Transactions and other non-M&A business development-related transactions and supervise and direct outside counsel in connection with same. Primary drafting/negotiating responsibility; integral in strategy and structuring of transactions.
- Provide legal advice, counsel and service to Corporate Development and Operating Unit/Function/Regional business development teams concerning legal and business rights, obligations, and risks in connection with business development activities of Medtronic.
- Develop with transaction team and assist in negotiating best deal structure for Medtronic.
- Manage legal due diligence efforts for deals and assure that key findings are known and addressed.
- Manage antitrust approval efforts in connection with Strategic Transactions.
- Assure top quality legal agreements governing Medtronic’s complex transactions.
- Assure that deal timetables are met.
- Mentor, train and supervise junior members of the Business Development Legal COE team.
- Mentor and train Corporate Development associates in the mechanics of structuring and completing deals.
- Develop, review, and implement functionally specific training programs for the Corporate Development team, Operating Unit/Regional Business Development teams and Corporate and other shared services functions that support business development activities.
- Perform duties in compliance with environmental, health and safety related site rules, policies, or governmental regulations.
- All other duties as assigned.
Must Have: Minimum Requirements
- Juris doctorate from a nationally recognized American law school
- Licensed to practice law and in good standing under the Bar of at least one American state
- 8+ years of experience in M&A transactions
Nice to Have
- Strong working knowledge in diverse legal fields, including corporate, mergers and acquisitions, complex commercial transactions, securities, tax, antitrust, and exposure to related international law.
- Extensive experience with M&A and minority investments transactions.
- Exceptional ability to draft and negotiate complex agreements.
- Understanding of financial statements and business projections.
- Ability to manage numerous complex projects.
- Strong communication skills, including the ability to convey complex legal and transactional concepts/issues clearly and succinctly.
- Business and solution-oriented mindset, including the ability to make sound recommendations.
- Integrity and strong ethical center.
- Strategic thinking, proactive mindset, and “can-do” attitude.
- 10+ years of experience at top law firm.
Together, we can change healthcare worldwide. At Medtronic, we push the limits of what technology, therapies and services can do to help alleviate pain, restore health and extend life. We challenge ourselves and each other to make tomorrow better than yesterday. It is what makes this an exciting and rewarding place to be.
We want to accelerate and advance our ability to create meaningful innovations – but we will only succeed with the right people on our team. Let’s work together to address universal healthcare needs and improve patients’ lives. Help us shape the future.
Physical Job Requirements
The physical demands described within the Responsibilities section of this job description are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. For Office Roles: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to be independently mobile. The employee is also required to interact with a computer, and communicate with peers and co-workers. Contact your manager or local HR to understand the Work Conditions and Physical requirements that may be specific to each role. (ADA-United States of America)
Travel: less than 10%.