Senior Vice President & General Counsel – Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis
The Senior Vice President and General Counsel will lead the Legal Division of the Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis. The General Counsel will report to the Chief Operating Officer, working collaboratively with the Bank’s President, Management Committee and Board of Directors to provide high quality legal and ethics support and provide oversight for supporting the Bank’s board of directors. The successful candidate will be a member of the 11-member management committee responsible for setting the strategic direction for the Bank and driving its strategic initiatives.
The General Counsel will have a proven track record of leading legal professionals to deliver strong outcomes in support of strategic objectives. The successful candidate should be capable of developing and supporting a diverse team that provides legal and policy perspectives to Minneapolis Fed leadership with a high degree of excellence. The person will also work collaboratively with legal peers and other stakeholders across the Federal Reserve System and with the public.
Through a strong ethics culture and ongoing advice, the successful candidate will ensure the work of the Bank sustains and enhances the Bank’s reputation of an organization that serves the public by pursing a growing economy and stable financial system that work for all of us.
- Provides legal counsel and other guidance to Bank management directly and through others, serving as the Bank’s key legal advisor. Also provides broad-based thought leadership and legal and strategic advice to the President, Chief Operating Officer, management committee and other leaders and employees as appropriate.
- Collaborates with other members of the Bank’s management committee to establish the strategic priorities and policies of the Bank, consistent with the System’s mission. Demonstrates decisive and dynamic leadership to help the Bank’s management committee evaluate and discuss key issues and reach consensus on them.
- Represents the Bank at the System level, with the Board of Governors, and with outside organizations, as needed, and throughout the District more broadly.
- Leads the effective provision of legal services whether provided in-house or by outside counsel. Responsible for strategic planning and policy development activities for the Legal Division.
- Serves as a visible thought leader and voice at the Bank, throughout the District, and across the System to further advance the mission of the Bank.
- Engages business leaders at the Bank and across the System to identify initiatives and business opportunities where the Legal Division and/or Bank can add value, lend expertise and influence outcomes.
- Provides comprehensive management of the legal staff, including coaching and development, to expand their capabilities and ensure management succession within the Bank.
- Takes on Bank-wide management assignments as requested by the Chief Operating Officer.
Skills and Abilities
- Embraces and leads consistent with the Bank’s values of service, integrity, inclusion, initiative, accountability and objectivity. A role model of ethical conduct.
- Expertise with current and evolving legal issues and trends in areas relevant to the Reserve Bank legal practice such as banking, financial regulation, human resources, payments, technology, governance and ethics.
- Experienced strategic legal advisor with the ability to anticipate legal issues and other risks and recommend a range of pragmatic approaches to respond to them. Effectively leads and/or directs implementation of new approaches.
- Ability to influence leaders and stakeholders at the highest levels of the Bank and across the Federal Reserve System through exceptional relationship management, judgment and communication.
- Outstanding legal skills, including, but not limited to: critical analysis of key legal issues; ability to develop legal strategy and objectives for both transactional and litigation matters; oversight of all key aspects of Legal work within the Bank.
- Strong business acumen with a proven ability to evaluate the costs, risks and benefits associated with alternative actions before making decisions. Strong strategic thinker who sees the big picture, but can also get “in the weeds” as needed to fully analyze issues.
- Demonstrated track record of successful leadership with a commitment to operational excellence and a proven track-record of execution and delivery, achieving exemplary results.
- Demonstrated track record on creating a diverse and inclusive culture and practices and improving diversity within direct teams and across the organization. Proven ability to positively coach, lead, and develop diverse individuals and teams.
- Strong collaboration skills and an interest in ensuring strong cross functional and enterprise-wide relationships with an ability to partner effectively with others in the pursuit of common goals. Ability to navigate a matrix organization; achieving results through influence rather than positional power.
- Strong executive presence and judgment to support effective discussion and decision making among the management committee, board of directors and others. Outstanding interpersonal and diplomacy skills; excellent writing, presentation, and analytical skills.
- Deep public service and/or mission-driven orientation.
Education and Experience
· The ideal candidate will have at least ten years of corporate experience as in-house counsel and/or with a top tier law firm including transactional, advisory and litigation management experience. Demonstrated experience in banking, financial services, or other relevant industry/specialty areas is a plus.
· Demonstrated leadership and management skills, strong interpersonal skills and a knowledge of and interest in public policy and service.
· Juris Doctor Degree from an ABA accredited law school, licensed to practice in Minnesota (or admitted to the Minnesota Bar within a reasonable time following commencement of the position).
· A requirement of this position is that the employee must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and received all approved boosters or qualify for an accommodation from the Bank’s vaccination policy; the Bank will provide accommodations as required by law for individuals unable to be vaccinated due to medical condition or sincerely held religious belief.
Our total rewards program offers benefits that are the best fit for you at every stage of your career:
- Comprehensive healthcare options (Medical, Dental, and Vision)
- 401K match, and a fully funded pension plan
- Paid time off and holidays
- Generously subsidized public transportation
- Annual educational assistance
- On-site fitness facility
- Professional development programs, training and conferences
- And more…
The Minneapolis Fed is committed to developing a diverse workforce and providing an inclusive environment where all employees are respected and valued. We believe that we can foster development opportunities for all and reach our full potential by recognizing the unique experiences and identities of each of our colleagues. From economists to cash specialists, we work together to represent you in our economy.
Full Time / Part Time
Regular / Temporary
Job Exempt (Yes / No)
First (United States of America)
The Federal Reserve Banks believe that diversity and inclusion among our employees is critical to our success as an organization, and we seek to recruit, develop and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool. The Federal Reserve Banks are committed to equal employment opportunity for employees and job applicants in compliance with applicable law and to an environment where employees are valued for their differences.