Small Business Banking Counsel – Wells Fargo
About this role:
Wells Fargo is seeking a Counsel to become a member of the Small Business Banking section within the Consumer and Small Business Banking Division of the Legal Department. The Small Business Banking section provides legal support and guidance for Wells Fargo’s Small Business Banking line of business, which offers loans and other products and services to small businesses across the nation.
In this role, you will:
- Provide counsel to the line of business relating to commercial lending matters, including real estate and personal property secured transactions.
- Assist the enterprise and line of business complaints management and marketing teams, including review of customer correspondence and marketing materials.
- Review and analyze of loan documentation and other related agreements
- Provide counsel to the line of business regarding laws and regulations applicable to commercial lending.
- Provide guidance typically to internal clients on legal matters to assist with legal risk assessment, planning and policy decisions, or claims against the Company.
- Provide advice on the impact of policy, legal, and regulatory changes.
- Work is typically performed with some oversight from, or in support of, more senior counsel, and complex issues are escalated as necessary
- Collaborate within the department and across business and staff functions to address legal and risk issues in a manner consistent with the best interests of Wells Fargo.
- Participate in initiatives of varying scope that are typically moderately complex
- Provide guidance to less experienced counsel or paralegals
- Partner and coordinate with outside counsel on engagements
- 2+ years of Law experience, or equivalent demonstrated through one or a combination of the following: work experience, training, military experience, education
- Active state bar membership
- Relevant experience in commercial finance legal issues
- Knowledge of applicable banking regulation
- Relevant experience with SBA lending programs
- Experience as a practicing attorney
- Extensive experience conducting research and providing counsel and guidance regarding complex legal issues
- Strong attention to detail and accuracy skills
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills
- Ability to effectively organize and prioritize work while handling multiple matters
- Ability to work effectively in a complex environment with a high degree of collaboration
- Experience preparing legal memoranda for senior attorneys and business leaders.
- Travel up to 10%
We Value Diversity
At Wells Fargo, we believe in diversity, equity and inclusion in the workplace; accordingly, we welcome applications for employment from all qualified candidates, regardless of race, color, gender, national origin, religion, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, individuals with disabilities, pregnancy, marital status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.
Employees support our focus on building strong customer relationships balanced with a strong risk mitigating and compliance-driven culture which firmly establishes those disciplines as critical to the success of our customers and company. They are accountable for execution of all applicable risk programs (Credit, Market, Financial Crimes, Operational, Regulatory Compliance), which includes effectively following and adhering to applicable Wells Fargo policies and procedures, appropriately fulfilling risk and compliance obligations, timely and effective escalation and remediation of issues, and making sound risk decisions. There is emphasis on proactive monitoring, governance, risk identification and escalation, as well as making sound risk decisions commensurate with the business unit’s risk appetite and all risk and compliance program requirements.
Candidates applying to job openings posted in US: All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, or national origin.
Candidates applying to job openings posted in Canada: Applications for employment are encouraged from all qualified candidates, including women, persons with disabilities, aboriginal peoples and visible minorities. Accommodation for applicants with disabilities is available upon request in connection with the recruitment process.