General Duty Statement
This position reports directly to the Deputy City Attorney, Civil Division. The position performs wide-ranging professional legal work in the Civil Division of the Saint Paul City Attorney’s Office for all types of civil matters.
- Plans, organizes, mentors, and leads the work of lower-level employees within the Civil Division as requested by the City Attorney or Deputy City Attorney.
- Provides legal advice to the City Council, the Mayor’s Office, City departments, boards, commissions, and committees.
- Drafts ordinances, rules and policies.
- Drafts and negotiates contracts.
- Prepares legal opinions or memoranda.
- Represents the City of Saint Paul and its various departments, boards, and commissions in administrative cases and related matters.
The City of Saint Paul’s mission is to integrate equity and inclusion into how we approach all our work. Our vision is to be committed to building an equitable and inclusive city that will shift culture in city processes and policies, eliminate structural inequities, and ensure timely and relevant access to services, resources, support, and opportunity to every person in Saint Paul.
Job classification and salary will be commensurate with experience.
Candidates for positions as an Attorney will have at least a Juris Doctorate Degree and a license to practice law from the Supreme Court of the State of Minnesota and at least three years of experience as an Attorney at the entry to intermediate level with the City of Saint Paul or equivalent.
Preferred candidates will have a minimum of 2 years of experience as an attorney including experience in public law. We are looking for an individual with excellent academic credentials, strong analytical and communication skills, and professional recommendations.
Continued employment as an Attorney is contingent upon maintaining a license to practice law from the Supreme Court of the State of Minnesota.
By Closing Date, you MUST
- Submit a City of Saint Paul online application, including answers to the Supplemental Questionnaire.
- Upload or submit the following required document(s) via the online application system, mail, in person, email, or fax. (Zip files and web links will not be accepted. Each uploaded attachment is limited to 10MB.)
- Writing Sample
- Proof of license to practice law in the State of Minnesota
Selection Process Information
Unclassified: This posting is open to anyone who meets the position requirements. This is an UNCLASSIFIED position and is therefore not governed by City Civil Service Rules.
Final Selection Process: You will be notified if you are invited to participate in the final selection process which may include an interview.
Contact Information: Rachel Tierney at email@example.com
For more information or to apply to go: http://www.stpaul.gov/jobs
The City of Saint Paul is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. Veterans, women, persons of color, members of the LGBTQ community, and individuals with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.