Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
The Legal Rights Center, Inc. (LRC) seeks outstanding candidates to join our team as a Staff Attorney in our Community Defense Program. LRC is a community-based nonprofit law firm in Hennepin County and our mission is to work with our communities to seek justice and promote racial equity for those to whom it has been historically denied. We do this through criminal defense, restorative justice, advocacy, and community education. Please see our website (www.legalrightscenter.org) for more information about the organization and its programs.
Staff Attorneys in LRC’s Community Defense Program must be qualified and prepared to provide defense representation on criminal and delinquency cases. This involves the holistic and client-centered defense of indigent youth and adult clients throughout Hennepin County.
Additionally, community education and outreach are important components of this Staff Attorney position. The position responsibilities include:
● Zealous and client-centered representation of youth and adults charged with crimes in Hennepin County, with responsibility for all aspects of representation;
● Collaboration with non-attorney advocates in our client-centered practice;
● Ability to engage a client’s support network when appropriate in defense representation;
● Provide brief legal advice to community members through intake consultations, etc;
● Actively represent the Legal Rights Center at community outreach events, community coalitions, working groups, etc;
● Engage in advocacy focused on systems transformation;
● Support the LRC’s programmatic initiatives focused on community engagement and advocacy (i.e. Community Legal Education, Know Your Rights training, etc);
● Ability to maintain professional case files and related tasks.
Minnesota licensed attorney with background in criminal and/or juvenile law (or if not licensed in Minnesota, be eligible for admission by reciprocity or planning to take the next Minnesota bar exam)
Experience working with poverty populations
Experience working with multicultural populations
Self-motivated and takes initiative, able to work both in a team and independently
Strong oral and written communication skills
Strong organizational skills
Excellent listening skills
Ability to work within the context of an organizational mission that is not solely focused on criminal defense
Willingness to use own vehicle for travel to suburban courts (mileage and parking reimbursed)
Must pass background check for working with youth and vulnerable adults.
Salary & Benefits
Compensation for this position is in the range of $55,000 to $80,000 annually based upon qualifications and experience.
Health and dental insurance provided.
How to Apply
Please email a letter explaining your interest in the position and your resume to email@example.com. Finalists will be asked to provide professional references. For questions or more information, please call Nadine Graves at 612-677-2137.
The Legal Rights Center was created by communities of color working in coalition; a diverse staff best meets the needs of our communities.